Chapter 9

Itachi caught me outside the building.  "Kunoichi..."

I avoided his hand as he tried to catch my arm and looked at him, expressionless.  "Itachi."

He was taken aback.  "What happened... where did you go last night?"

I shrugged.  "Like I said... here and there."

He was at a loss.  "Last night... Ibiki said you were the one who let him in..."

I nodded.  "It's true."

His face became grave.  "It's not what you thi-"

I rose my hand to stop him.  "What I think doesn't matter.  Is there anything I can help you with, Itachi?"  I saw the hurt in his eyes, but I couldn't bring myself to care in that moment.  "Then, I have things to do."

I left him standing there, staring after me.  The first stop I made was a small tea shop I didn't recognize to eat.  Then, I went to find clothes, what I chose was simple, something to train in, nothing more.  Finally, I went back to the music shop and gathered some things before setting off again.

Aya, Ryo, and Hinata stood at the gates.  I raised an eyebrow, and Aya stepped forward.  "Where you go... we follow."

I tilted my head.  "I won't be far..."

Ryo shook his head.  "It doesn't matter."

I nodded.  "Then I should maybe find more suitable accommodations."  They all smiled, and we left together, I felt we were being watched, but it didn't matter.

I was tired of sitting around waiting to get better, and now, with my friends, I could train and get stronger.  We found a small abandoned cabin not far from the village.  Hinata looked around.  "Convenient."

We all nodded and set to work cleaning it up.  I was truly tired when we finished, I appreciated that they didn't try to do everything for me and tell me to rest.  I've missed this...

The sun was setting when we heard a knock at the door.  We all looked at each other curiously before Aya answered the door.  She glanced at me before Minato walked in, clearly upset.  The others left as he sat across from me.  "Kunoichi... what happened?"

I met his gaze evenly.  "I got tired of being babied."

He frowned.  "So much so that you completely leave the village?"

I shrugged.  "I felt like I was being smothered."

He leaned closer.  "So... why isn't Itachi here, too?"

I blinked.  "Why does he need to be here?"

Minato furrowed his brow.  "Look, if you two are fighting, that's okay. It happens, but you can stay at home o-"

I raised an eyebrow.  "Where?"

He looked surprised.  "At home, you know where you grew up."

I tilted my head.  "I know you meant your house, I meant where as in, nothing of me is left there anymore."  I saw his small sharp inhale.  "All of my belongings, no pictures, it was as though I never existed.  Chihiro did a wonderful job of erasing me from there, by the way."

He sighed and looked away.  "She said it hurt too much, I never paid much attention to what she was doing.  If it kept her happy..."

I nodded.  "And that's why I'm here.  To keep her happy."  He looked at me curiously.  "I took everything from her... her childhood, her emotions, and her life."

He frowned.  "That's not true."

I met his gaze with an even one.  "It is... and so, I leave her to her life.  So she can live and find happiness without my interference."

Minato's eyes were saddened.  "Did she tell you this?"

I shook my head.  "She didn't have to. Her actions spoke far louder than her words ever could.  Besides... many in the village will sleep better at night knowing I'm not in it."

He sighed.  "Just... don't leave without saying goodbye."

I took one of his hands in mine.  "You have me for a month, at least.  Let's see what happens after."  He nodded and rose, I stopped him at the door.  "What do you say to some training tomorrow?"

He looked back at me.  "You're not..."  I raised a brow at him again, and he sighed.  "Yeah, let's do it."

I smiled at him.  "Thank you, Minato."  I watched as he left, allowing the sadness to wash over me.  Hinata was watching me from behind.  "So, brat... I guess we're back to sharing a room."

She was smiling when I faced her.  "I wouldn't have it any other way."  I have a long month ahead of me...