Chapter 36

I emerged from showering, and Itachi was already in bed, sleeping.  I knelt by the bed feeling sorry for him. He hadn't slept since that night.  I gently slid beside him and looked into his face, brushing his hair aside.  "Stupid Uchiha..."

He sighed and wrapped an arm around my waist.  I put my forehead against his chest and closed my eyes, trying to relax but unable to.  I sighed, leaving the bed and going into the living room.

I pulled out my flute and ran my fingers across it, sitting on the floor against the wall.  This old thing has seen a lot...  My mind was racing about everything that had happened since waking up almost five months ago.  None of the melodies I knew or created matched what I felt, so I set to making a new one.

I pulled out a pencil and a notebook, and slowly, something began to form.  I was so focused that I barely caught the movement in the corner of my eye.  I quickly looked up, and Itachi was standing in the doorway, watching me.  I lowered my gaze.  "Sorry, if I woke you, didn't reali-"

He chuckled.  "Your playing didn't,  I rolled over, and you weren't there."

I smiled sadly.  "Can't sleep."

He nodded.  "You've only slept when you were exhausted, so I imagine not."  He stood in front of me and held out his hand.  "Come on..."

I took it, and he pulled me up and into the bedroom.  We got back in bed, and we sat my back on his chest.  "Tell me more about those two."

I began to play with his fingers.  "What about them?"

He twirled my hair in his other hand.  "Can they read minds?"

I shook my head.  "I thought so too at first, but no.  They are connected in such a way that they hear each other, but no one else."

"Have you listened to them?"

"No, I never felt the need.  Unlike the people around us, I don't much care for other's conversations."

"Why did Pein form the Akatsuki?"

I thought a moment.  "For a utopian world, I think.  He wanted me to join for some time, I even considered, but then I found out Madara was involved.  I would've gotten myself killed."

"Did you know of your past then?"

"No, but I knew he killed Kushina to get to Kurama."

He went silent for a bit.  "How did they find you... after the Chunin Exams?"

I sighed.  "Zetsu got wind of the attack as it was happening after he found I wasn't in the village. He came for me.  He knows me..."

"So, he didn't make it in time."

I shrugged.  "He knew better than to interfere if he did. There's no stopping me in that state.  Pein tried once.  It... I... they all learned that night, let's leave it there."

He tugged at my hair, so I would look at him.  "And after?"

I frowned.  "I woke up but pretended to still be sleeping... Madara was there, but Sasori ran him off.  It's a lot easier when he's Tobi."  He nodded.  "I couldn't move at all for days, then slowly regained movement and some strength.  Pein kept Madara busy when he could, and then, I was never left alone when he was around."

Itachi stroked my cheek.  "I appreciate that."

I smiled softly.  "They kept me as up to date as my state would allow, we agreed any news from the village would only hinder my progress...  after a month or so, Kisame escorted me back, though no one approved... it was that, or I'd try in my own."

He ran his fingers along my wrist, over the chain tattoo.  "I'm guessing they never removed this..."

I looked down at it.  "No, but I don't know if anyone bothered to check to see if it was really a tattoo or not.  It's only been removed once, and it was by me."

He nodded.  "When you left that night after your return, you put it back on when you were coming back."

I narrowed my eyes.  "How do you know?"

He touched his necklace.  "It got colder, but not completely."

I thought for a moment.  "You said that's how you knew I wasn't dead."

He nodded.  "Since giving you the belt, it would heat or cool depending on if you were wearing it or not, but after the bracelet... it was always warm."

I touched it.  "Feels normal to me."

He smirked.  "It's your chakra that's warm.  When I woke up, it was colder, and I had to really concentrate to feel your chakra.  About the time you woke up, it got warmer, but never back to normal.  I don't know what changed other than that, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't track you."

I looked at it closely and remembered our game earlier.  "It's hard still..."

He nodded.  "Better, but not the same.  Plus, this is definitely not the Leaf."

I giggled.  "No... it isn't.  I don't know why Pein stops the rain when I'm here.  I've asked, but it rains most of the time."

"You asked if I wanted to stay in the Leaf before... if you had the urge to settle, would it be here?"

I shrugged.  "I come for Pein and Konan, but... I'm not sure if there's anywhere in particular I would like to stay."

He nodded, and I set to playing with his hand again.  "You considered not having Tsunade treat you."  I nodded.  "Why?"

I laced my fingers through his.  "A world without you in it wasn't worth living in.  I would've used the last of my strength to kill as many Uchiha as I could, and if I succeeded, Madara was next."  He blinked, confused.  "Some were hiding in the shadows while you were fighting, watching as they almost killed you.  I remember their faces, but tracking down each one in order to kill them was beyond my capabilities at that time."

He closed his eyes.  "And now?"

I touched his face.  "Do I want to kill them? Yes, however, it won't be a suicide mission. Unless you don't want me to." 

When he opened his eyes, he looked down at me.  "I only have two Uchiha that I want dead. However, one of them is protected by those very people, I'm sure."