TWENTY FIVE

She was on top of the world ! The dress was gorgeous . She twirled around and felt like a princess. It was simple yet so beautiful and it fitted her so damn well! It was the exact kind of dress she would have gotten for herself. He did really know her well. She chuckled in realisation.

She put her hair in a neat bun, pulling out some tendrils to frame her face and put on some light make up. She looked as if she was going to attend a high society party.

She was so happy that she wanted to hug the wits out of Clayton.

Oh clay I love you so much. I wish I could just tell you that.

She walked over to her bag and pulled out a small box.

I too have a present for you Clayton and you're going to love it.

******

He was nervously pacing the hall. What if she didn't like the color ,what if it didn't fit her ,what if she.....

His train of thoughts skid and crashed when she walked into the living room. His mouth hung open in admiration of the beauty in front of him. She was drop dead gorgeous.  The dress hugged her every curve ,she looked like a princess and he was a mere street urchin in front of her. He gulped nervously and walked towards her.

"Sia you look ..."

She kissed him hard before he could say anything. He put his arms around her waist and pulled her closer. They slowly parted and he smiled broadly at her

" You look gorgeous. I...I.. "

"I love you ,Clayton" she said quickly.

There she said it. She hadn't wanted to but her heart couldn't bear the thought of never telling him what she truly felt. A weight lifted off her shoulder. She slowly looked up at him worrying if he might just walk away from her. But he didn't, instead he pulled her closer and kissed her again. It was a slow passionate kiss. He stopped and cupped her face .

*****

His heart was jumping with joy , he wanted to cry ,to yell out to the world that she loved him. He gently cupped her face and looked into her eyes. He was ready to say it.

"And I love you more "

She smiled so brightly that he thought that even if he died at this moment , it'll be worth it. He wanted to say so much more but he was sure that if he opened his mouth he was going to cry.

She caressed his face.

"Clay ,I've got a gift for you as well"

"Gift ? For me ? ..wow . I would love to see it "

She placed the small box in his hands. He opened it and when he saw what was inside he stumbled backwards . He gave her a shocked look. He pulled out the emerald locket and the box fell from his hand. His hands were shaking. He slowly opened the locket and then he couldn't stop his tears.

It was his mother's locket.

******

"Sia where did you.....how ...how did you..."

She pulled him towards the couch and sat close to him. She told him about her little adventure. He was smiling and crying at the same time. He took her into his arms and they sat quietly for some time.

"Sia ?"

"Hmm"

"Where's your bracelet?"

She quickly snatched her hand from him.

"My bracelet... its it's there, in the room . It didn't go well with the dress so I didn't wear it " she tried looking away.

"Sia where is the bracelet?"

She did not answer. She just kept staring at her hands in her lap.

"Sia" he was serious now. She slowly lifted her eyes to him.

"I had to buy this locket and I had no money so I gave him my bracelet in turn for it "

"But it was a silver bracelet,  its what marked all the accomplishments of your life and what about your grandmothers locket ?"

"That bracket really didn't mean that much to me. It was just something I got to feel good for that moment. And as for the locket, I still have that charm."

"Sia ..."

He didn't know what to say . She had given away her most valuable thing for him ,for a man who had taken her away from her happy life. Now he had made up his mind , he was going to save her and he was ready to pay any price for it.

*****

They had spent Christmas with spike, singing , laughing, running around and stuffing their faces with cake and cookies. He was  addicted to the chocolate cake she had baked. He had kissed her fingers and she had giggled. It was a Christmas well spent.

After the eventful day ,Sia had retired to bed. Clayton was sitting on the couch ,he fished out his second phone and dialed..

"Merry Christmas ....jolly up cause I have news on Siana Lancaster...."

******

The next day Clayton was back to his fixing work. He was working on the plumbing in the common bathroom.

"Sia ? Sia ?"

"Ha ?"

"Listen can you please get me the new set of spanners I got . It's in the truck"

She walked outside and pulled out a newspaper bag after checking the contents. She walked back to the bathroom and set the bag on the stool besides him. She gave him a kiss and was about to walk away when something caught her eye.

She picked up the newspaper bag and looked at it closely. There was an article about the institute she worked at. She pulled out the spanner set and placed them besides him and walked into the living room with the bag. She stood besides the wide open window and opened up the bag to read the article.

The article was about the institute collaborating with the National Drug research project. 
That meant more money , new infrastructure and involvement of many reputed scientists.  The picture in the center of the article was of the president of the institute, Dr. Mason Houser with a notable pharmaceutical scientist. Dr.Houser was holding a brown packet in front of him and smiling at the camera.

There was something in that picture that she couldn't shake off . There was something that was in front of her eyes yet hidden from her. She focused her eyes on Houser.

Look sia look.

Then she saw it. Masons houser 's hand , the big red ring in his ring finger. She had seen that ring somewhere. She closed her eyes in frustration and slammed her fist on the table next to her. She suddenly opened her eyes. Her bottom lip quivering .

The ring ! The man in the video wore that ring . It was Mason Houser! I should have guessed . He was Dr. Miles best friend. Though he never once spoke in his favor or showed what a good friend he was but Dr. Miles trusted him regardless. Houser you snake !

All of it was clearing up now. If Dr.Miles had left the evidence in her hands and warned her to not trust anybody that clearly ment that he didn't trust Houser either.  It was Houser ,it had to be him. If Dr. Miles was dead then Houser had something to do with it .

♤♧♤♧