Chapter 42

I walked into detention to spot Cameron already there. He was on his phone as usual but once he saw me he smiled and waved. "Why are you here so early?" I inquired as I sat down next to him.

"I was kicked out of class last period so I was sent here. You know the saying, 'early bird catches the worm'. Looks like I caught the worm." He held up a gummy worm and smiled a cheeky smile.

"You're so dumb. I'm not going to applaud you for getting into detention earlier than the rest of us." He just shrugged his shoulders, "an accomplishment is an accomplishment. Never said if it was good or bad."

"Wise wise words yoda." He winked at me and went back to his phone. I proceeded to pull out my homework for my classes and do them.

I was done with my first assignment when I remembered the sport thing. I tapped on Cameron's shoulder, "Yo, what's that sports thing coming up?" I asked him, trying to seem uninterested.

"Oh, it's kinda like a late night sport festival party thing. Not that big of a deal, i don't even want to go most of the time. But it's mandatory for me and the guys. Technically we're not even allowed to bring alcohol. Not like it stops us but it's a bitch when you get caught." He said far off while playing whatever on his phone.

I nodded my head, "Why do you want to know?" He asked. "No real reason." I replied a little too quickly. He looked up from the game and gave me a look. I gave him one back, which he rolled his eyes too.

"Someone just invited me to it, nothing too big of a deal. Plus I'm here to still know the bare minimum." He just shrugged his shoulders. "I would think you'd be going because you're on the dance team. You're basically a cheerleader at the event. When all the teams go against each other at the chosen sports most of the time the dance girls are prepped out on the side lines."

I sighed, oh god that sounded awful. "Number one im not a sideline cheerleader. Second, what time would it be? Because the Cafe, I can't afford to miss a day when I literally just started."

He paused his game and turned in his desk. He kicked his legs over the bar so he could look at me. "You seem overly interested about a stupid sports festival." He stated suspiciously. I just rolled my eyes and huffed, "Can you just tell me please."

He sighed but gave in, "It usually starts after school. Most sports teams don't have practice that day because the teachers are forced to work at the event. It could go from 2:30 to 10 to be honest." I raised my eyebrows in shock. My old school had spirit but not that much.

I can't even fathom having an actual prep rally at school. We had everyone go into the courtyard and the sports teams went in the middle then the dance team twerked.

"The cheer team and dance teams usually have the most pep. Like body and face paint, glitter, and the school colors. The glitter is fucking annoying as shit. I'll sit and eat lunch with a few and find glitter all over my body after. It's insane." He said earnestly, seeming really confused like he was trying to really figure out how it worked.

I laughed quietly and agreed. "That sounds...fun i guess. Addy should fill me in more later. Thank you for the information." I gave him an awkward pat on his shoulder and cringed. He just looked at his shoulder and me with the same expression.

"Yeah, yeah i know. That was insanely cringy and awkward, I admit it." I whispered. He nodded his agreement, "So, why do you want to know about this festival so badly. And don't give me some vague bullshit you've been trying." He leaned on his elbow which made some of his hair fall into his left eye.

It irritated me immensely, so without much thought I leaned over to move it for him. He flinched back at first surprised, "sorry, this is just annoying me.'' I muttered my apology under my breath as I started to move his hair.