Chapter Thirty Three

I arrived home and parked in the driveway before making my way into the house. Unlocking the door I went inside, looking around for Jack. I heard the shower running so I decided to hang out in his room while I waited for him to finish. I put my bag in my room and changed into one of Jacks T-shirts when I got into his room. A few minutes later I heard the shower turn off and Jack met me in his room.

"Hi beautiful. How are you?" He asked as he walked into his room wearing a towel around his waist.

"I'm good. I need to talk to you about something. A good something. Well, maybe good. I dunno" I said nervously. I don't know why I was so nervous to talk to him about the promotion, but I was.

"What's up Babygirl" he said as he sat in his bed facing me.

"Well I had the meeting at work...and...um...sorry can you put a shirt on first? I can't concentrate"

He rolled his eyes and let out a small laugh before changing into a T-shirt and shorts himself. "Better?"

"Yes. Okay as I was saying. Pete kind of asked me to take his place after he retires" I blurted out.

"Oh that's amazing! I'm so proud of you! Why did you need to talk to me about that, sweetheart?"

"Well, um, I don't know if I want to do that" I said as I looked at the floor.

"Oh. I see. Can I ask why?"

"Well it's over an hour away. And I'm getting more invested in school and I think I know what I want to do and if I do that I won't have any free time and I won't be able to see you as much" I said quickly, having the reasons already floating around in my head since the conversation.

"Understandable. I didn't think about it like that. Well, I'll support you no matter what you decide. But I've been wanting to talk to you about that also"

I could feel the color drain from my face.

He isn't going to want me in school. This is it. He wants me to stay home all the time and be a housewife or something. He wants to control my whole life. He wants-my thoughts were interrupted by him speaking.

"I was thinking that since you are in school and your job is so far away, maybe you would accept my offer to let me help you so you can focus on school"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"We've talked about it before, but I would much rather help small businesses and individuals than have luxury vehicles and homes and all of that nonsense. So, I was thinking you could cut back at work, just work two or so days a week, and I could cover your expenses. The money you earn can be used for whatever else you'd like, just while you're in school. If you don't take the promotion and would accept that"

"Oh. Jack I don't know. I don't think I could ever take your money like that"

"It wouldn't be taking my money though. I would pay your bills directly, taking them as my own basically. If that would make you feel more comfortable. I just want you to be happy and I have the means to help you, if you'd like"

"I don't know. That's...a lot to ask of someone . We've only been dating like six months. Don't you think it's too soon to be offering that?"

"I know how I feel about you and I know what I want for my future and yours. Time means nothing when you're in love" he said as he stood up and walked to my side of the bed, holding my hands in his. "I know it's only been six months but these have been the best six months of my life. I love you and I want to help you if you want it. I know you don't need help but I'd like to offer it anyway"

"Wow in one day I've been given the option of a promotion or having a sugar daddy. Nice" I laughed.

"Woah, woah, woah. I'm only 10 years older than you. That's not sugar daddy material yet"

"Just teasin. Let me think about it? I have a week to let Pete know. But I'll have an answer before then"

"Sure thing, Babygirl. But for now, let's go make dinner" he said before picking me up, putting my legs around his waist and heading into the kitchen.

After we got into the kitchen, Jack put me on the island and began pulling out ingredients to make Tuscan chicken for dinner. Once he got out the chicken, spices, and other ingredients, he gave me a bowl to whisk together chicken broth and arrowroot starch while he started to cook the chicken. He cut up some garlic and shallots and put them in the pan with ghee after taking the chicken out. After they were sautéed, he added milk, the chicken broth mixture, sun dried tomatoes, and basil to the pan. After a couple minutes he added the chicken back into the pan and simmered it for five more minutes.

As he was finishing up, I hopped off the island and began to set the dining table while he threw a bag of vegetables into the microwave. He emptied the vegetables into a large bowl and brought the skillet into the dining room. He set it in the middle of the table on a pot holder before getting a bottle of wine from the kitchen and pouring us both a glass.

"This looks fancy" I said as I sat at one of the side chairs.

"Sure does. Pinterest is a lifesaver" Jack said as he took a seat across from me and held his hand out for my plate. After I handed it to him he placed some chicken and scooped some vegetables onto it before handing it back to me.

We spent the rest of the night talking and enjoying our dinner together.