Mirio | it was him

You were okay with being mediocre for so long. Yeah you kinda sucked at everything, but you learned quickly and adapted. Ever since you were a child.
You were born prematurely. 2 months, or to be exact, 9 weeks. Of course you wouldn't be able to tell now, besides that you looked a little younger then you were. Your mother wasn't supposed to be able to have kids. But she did, you of course.
You loved your parents but throughout your young years they obviously didn't know what they were doing.
They'd either be complete control freaks, checking up on you 24/7. Or they'd be detached and distant. When you figured out you were slow. You were in the second grade. Well. Third. You had made a few friends. Got asked out by a bunch of fellow elementary schoolers you don't know how many times. (The same three boys, over and over.)
But you were obviously slow at learning.
The school noticed this too, and they snagged you from your very content but confused school experience, and plopped you down with the second graders. Everytime you saw one of the people you knew before in the hall. Anxiety would pull at your heart. Even as an 8 year old. Your parents would never leave you alone and the stress was just to much at the time.
So as an 8 year old. You went to your favorite teachers class room, (who wasn't even your teacher, but they were always so nice to you)
And cried. Not just stereotypical 8 year old wining. You really cried.
After that you made a deal with yourself to catch up. You went from the detached lonely kid, to straight A student. Always helping the teachers and doing it with a smile on your face. You were having trouble speaking just a month ago, your parents thought it was your teachers and your teachers thought it was your parents.
You were never able to catch up with your old classmates. But you were finally content, all the people you had gone to school with have gone to high school and you had really good friends That didn't understand your troubles but were there to help you through it.
Your parents convinced you to try and get into UA. Which was way out of your league and you knew that. Since they've done so much for you, you decided to humor them.
It was funny until you actually got into the test and realized if you didn't try your hardest that you'd probably die. So you did.
And you made it. You're sure your parents were completely baffled even though they didn't show it.
You didn't think you'd make it that long. But two years later, you're apart of the big 4, and the stress is building in your chest again. You haven't felt this busted since second grade. Which is a huge traumatic blur.
It was lunch, but you didn't have an appetite, the roof seemed like the best option. You tiredly walked up the steps and once finding a cozy spot on the concrete you sat down and was finally, left with your thoughts. And you definitely have some things to think over.
Maybe I'm in way over my head. What was I thinking coming to UA?
Some people are just bound to loose.
Worst underdog story ever I know.
The door to the roof creaked open. You didn't even bother looking back. By the heaviness and the rhythm of the footsteps you knew it was mirio togata, a good friend of yours. He insists on calling you 'sunshine' even though you hate nicknames.
He tells you.
"It's a perfect name! After all you went through to get here? You motivate everyone to be better!"
He's the only person that knows about the whole 'childhood trama' though everyone has trama of their own. You weren't made to over come yours, you knew that.
"Heya sunshine! You alright?" He asked happily plopping down beside you. You looked at you and his face turned to worry as he saw the tears in your eyes.
"No, I don't think so." You told him taking your palms and wiping the tears out of your eyes.
It's been so long since you've cried, like really cried and you were on the verge of it.
"What happened? Did someone say something?" He asked.
Mirio has always worried about you. He knew you were capable yourself, at least with your quirk and heroing. He knew you'd never be able to get over it when someone you knew before you got moved to second grade graduated UA. The general studies department, but it doesn't mean it wasn't a punch in the gut. Because you were supposed to be there with them.
"No mirio, I'm just thinking." You sniffed, there was a sob holding at the back of your throat. As you held it in, your voice cracked and it escaped. As soon as I left your lips a few new tears rolled down your cheeks. Not a second later mirio was quick to comfort you. He's never needed to. Not really. You've always been one of the most emotionally guarded people. Never so much as letting on you were sad. But he knew someone that knew how to do everything right has obviously failed before. The first time you told him what happened, you cried. You felt pathetic. You were scared he'd be disappointed, but he wasn't.
He was proud of you. For what? You didn't know exactly. He's always told you,
"You know it takes so much more out of you to fail and get back up then to always win."
You knew about his troubles with his quirk. Especially when he was younger. You were quick to tell him that he was amazing, and could literally kick their homeroom teachers ass.
"Well you think too much, you know I'm always gonna be here right?" He asked holding you.
How could he possibly always be there? He'll end up graduating and becoming number one. Which you were excited for, you can't wait to be watching the news with someone and a story of mirio come on and you say.
"I knew him."
"You don't have to always be there for me Mirio." You told him hiding yourself in his chest.
You loved this about him, well you loved him. How could you not. A little crush in your first year turned into this. And of course you haven't told him. That would be crazy, he's the top of all the student body. He's going places. To be fair, you're also atop of the student body. But it's more for your quick thinking and work ethic. You might get top 20 by the time you retire.
"I know, but I want to. And I don't know if I'm in any place to say this but, I love you. And I know we're graduating this year. But this seemed like a great time to tell you." He said.
You felt him tense up. He was waiting for you to say something but you were frozen.
"You don't have to say anything if you don't wanna, really you just knowing is enough." He added.
"Mirio." You started, then paused trying to find the right words to say.
How am I gonna tell him that I love him too? This is NOT going to become one of those cheesy romance movies. As much as I love them this is going to be realistic.
"Why didn't you tell me before?" You asked him.
His arms tensed is surprise. He was surprised? How the hell does he think you feel? 2 years and he's felt the same way?
"I was scared." He let out a laugh.
Mirio togata? Scared. Jeez.
"Well you should've been, I feel the same way."
"I bet I loved you for longer." He joked, putting a smile on your tree streaked face.
"No way, a few months into our first year is way longer then you've loved me." You told him playfully punching his shoulder.
"Yeah well I loved you since I first saw you." He whispered into your ear.
Blush flooded you cheeks as he said this in his, hot boy, voice. Though he wasn't looking at you. He knew he made you flustered.
"Really?" You looked at him, tucking a strand of tear soaked hair behind you year.
He hated seeing you cry, or sad, or down, or anything but happy really. Just seeing you walk down the hallway, with a smile on your face and nothing holding you down.
Getting you out of his head was a lost cause at this point. He doesn't want to anyway.
"Yeah, of course. How could I not? You may not see it, but all the boys are dying to get you." He smiled hugging you again, just wanting to see you smile.
You were surprised at this. Guess you were too caught up in trying to be the best you could and Mirio, you didn't see all the staring eyes.
He was just glad it was him.