Part 43

The last time Lexi cried this hard was four months after graduation, after her last table read for her upcoming movie. Everything had finally sunk in that afternoon that she will be filming and share a screen with some big names in the industry. She's finally got what she waited for when she decided to put all her chances in LA.
She didn't realise the one thing she never knew she wanted would be there waiting for her too. She didn't realise that the thing she least expected would be her biggest lost, her biggest regret. Now she can't stop herself from doing the same thing.
But their moment have passed, and she has to keep going. There's no turning back now. She'll be away for months, and it's only one project. In the future, who knows. And him? He'll be on the road forever, and when he's back, he'll be preparing to go on the road again.
She rubs her tired eyes telling herself over and over again of how pathetic her crying is before tossing herself to bed.
The last time Niall cried that hard was two weeks ago when he had the recurring dream of seeing Lexi turning away from him in the graduation, the dream that had finally stopped four months after she left LA.
He woke up ‪at 4 am‬ that night and just as he was about to wash his face, he found Lexi's old toothbrush, the one they both thought she lost. He clutches the small green plastic sobbing like a baby on the ground.
Now he sits in the exact same spot he sat two weeks ago, wishing he hadn't thrown that toothbrush away out of anger. Who knows maybe she'll come back and use it again. Maybe they can be in a spot where they both can be happy together again.
He stands up slowly, looking at himself in the mirror. He looks wretched. He walks out from the bathroom and without thinking, slips on his bedroom slippers and walks out of the house down the familiar road to her house.