6) The Christmas and Presents

Past
Ashford, UK

PastAshford, UK

Melissa's PoV:

It was a day before Christmas Eve that I went shopping. I was a chickenshit in hiding presents and that would be a tedious task to carry on. So, I chose this day. I had already bought a black party wear, similar to that of Ryan's gift to Julie, to present her for Christmas. I had rummaged through almost all the shops of this huge Ashford town only to land on something is similar, not the same. But that wasn't much of a disappointment. I couldn't find something that would be a perfect catch for mum and dad.

It was snowing mildly but the chillness was getting into my veins, slowing down the flow of blood and making me go numb from inside. I cursed my jumpers and aprons for proving themselves futile.

I was walking along the road watching through all the windows of the shops. I got my savings of the year plus my littlest earning from a few paintings of mine. I couldn't afford anything huge. But still, window-shopping doesn't demand you being a Richie Rich. Not at all!

I was window-shopping as I still hadn't figured out what I was about to buy for dad or mum. I was helpless. But I wasn't aware that my face had been casting out to everybody around, how miserably helpless I was until I heard that voice.

"You want some help?" asked the Mr Devil.

I was astonished to meet him there. Seeing Austin there was delightful partially. But I made a face at him saying, "You?" as if he disgusted me.

"Whoa!" seeing my face he put his hands in the air and backed a little as if in precaution. "Had I woken Ms Grouchy up after all?"

I knew he was teasing me. I folded my hands and blurted out, "Now, what the heck are you up to?" Seriously, I wasn't a very brave person. But with every meeting, he grew less intimidating.

"Don't you forget, we got a project to work on?"

I hadn't ever ceased to think of that. In actuality, I already laid the first ink on the project as I grew tired of waiting for him to turn up with some idea. I said, "Oh yeah, so that dawned to you at last."

"C'mon Mel... We could get it all done very soon. It would take hardly a week," he said sweetly. I couldn't help but admire the novelty of being called by my name. It was truly ecstatic that Mr Austin Blake knew my name.

"And guess what, we got just a week ahead," I told him as if it super-excited me. If truth be told, I was super excited for being called, Mel. When everyone chose to get along with the second half of my name, Mr Devil preferred otherwise. It was an infrequent and a newfangled name. I loved that ring in my name.

"Don't be a loser already. We could do it anyway," he said.

"Huh... So, I'm the loser here? We had all the time of the world to work," I was furious at how casual he was. "And now you want us to work the whole of Christmas holidays?"