24) Mr Perfect Loves a Maniac 6

Present
Paris, France

PresentParis, France

Author's PoV:

Melissa stops narrating as she senses a twitch in her guts. She feels hungry. She looks out at the Eiffel tower that has already started to glisten against the dusk, making other buildings envious.

Kevin who has been waiting for a brief hiatus, voices out, "You're such a sadist, Liz. You made me believe Austin's no more." He pouts as if he's galled. But in truth, he knows he's lying.

"I told you, I will never hinder the coherence of the story," shrugs Melissa.

'You're crazy, Liz,' Kevin speculates. "And you're the only one of your kind. Only on the grounds of this, I started liking you."

When Kevin doesn't reply but just gaze at her with a smile, she looks over at the clock inside the room. It's almost a quarter to four. She feels sorry for keeping Kevin away from lunch. She asks him if he's hungry.

Kevin fears that she may adjourn the narration of the remainder. So he replies, "Er... No, I'm feeling full with your narration."

Melissa understands him and states with a smile. "Don't worry Kevin. I will not leave you unfinished."

Kevin nods satisfyingly when she asks, "What shall we do? Shall we order something or get to have some walk and food, out?"

Kevin would've suggested ordering if Melissa hadn't suggested the other option. "Let's get some fresh air out," he says cheerfully.

Melissa walks into the bathroom and looks at herself in the mirror. She has a black track pant and a Tee on. It has been years since she stopped caring for herself. She feels her life has no reason for being fit or presentable. She exhales pulling over a sweat and is ready to go. She brushes her hair a bit but as it denied settling she leaves them unsettled.

Soon, they are out in the street, walking towards the nearest restauration. It's early winter but still one can feel the chillness.

Over these years, one of the major transitions Melissa found in herself is that she started loving winters. She feels it is good to be as cold as winter to survive the hardest life she's enduring. Her sole mantra is "You gotta be so cold to make it in this world" from the song 'Natural'. She feels she's living a cutthroat life. At times, like a lunatic, she will just repeat that line for hours together.

On their way, "How wouldn't anyone know about a secret place inside a forest?" interrogates Kevin.

"Actually the history of Dering Woods goes back to 500 A.D. It is one of those ancient Neolithic sites in the world."

"Pardon?"

"Neolithic. New stone age, man."

"I got it. It's very old, right?"