11) Confessions (Part 2)

Past
Ashford, UK.

PastAshford, UK

Melissa's PoV:

Seeing their reaction through the mirror I got to know I was cen-per cent right about doubting them.

"From where do you think they had come?" I asked. They both looked at me and said that they have no idea of who could be the sender. By this time my mum entered in with 3 cups and a coffee pot. She placed them on the side table and took a seat beside us. She admired the gifts I had around me. She saw the pendant and asked, "Josh... is this from you?"

"Wow, Mrs Crumpton. You rock. How did you find that?" he mused.

"Your crutch word, son," said my mum and I saw Josh biting his tongue as he smiled at my mum.

"Crutch word?" asked Austin. He hadn't examined the pendant till then. When he tried to do that, Josh stopped him. He pulled the pendant from Austin saying, "Man, you aren't allowed to see that. That's quite silly."

I thought Austin would put up a fight but instead, he just shrugged a little and let go. I was grateful as well that Austin didn't look at the word, 'Jliss'.

My mum asked Austin, "And you. Done with your project?"

I looked at her slightly intrigued. What project she was asking about, I had no idea.

"Yeah, I got it almost finished. I'm super excited about its outcome," said Austin.

I looked at both my mum and Austin in awe. My mum sensed my astonishment and looked at Austin asking for an answer. "Actually, I haven't told Mel about it. Hence the shock," said Austin.

"Hold on, I'm your partner in the project here. You're working on a project that my mom knows but I have not the least idea about it? What's this all about?"

"That's something totally different, Melissa. It's a project that I do just for myself and not for shitty grades. No one's going to evaluate this project of mine."

That is okay, but..."Wait, when did you speak to my mum about it?"

My mum said, "Haven't you boys told her yet? We already had surpassed the surprising ritual." She then turned towards me and continued, "Liz, they were the mastermind behind the party. They spent the last whole week dusting, shifting, painting, moving things in and out of our basement during school hours. I asked them not to skip classes. But they were determined that they should only come during classes so that you could never know a thing about the renovation going on here. They wanted it to be done only by themselves that they didn't allow me even. Only two days back I was allowed in as they were absent. This morning we had a little final set-up. I was worried when they both didn't turn up till the eleventh hour. Without them, it would've been a lifeless usual party." She smiled at the boys admiringly.