11) Confessions (Part 1)

Past
Ashford, UK.

PastAshford, UK

Melissa's PoV:

My birthday party wasn't anything like Josh's. Mine was restrained but exuberant. Josh was the last person I want to miss on this beautiful occasion. But still, I turned away from him as if showing him that I was still upset with him. "Now, you can make a wish," screeched Ciara and I closed my eyes. I made a wish for the best adventure this year, blew the candles and cut the cake.

Least did I know, that wish would be fulfilled but in a not so appealing way.

As soon as I got the chance to examine the room unrushed, I could see how much it had been transformed. I found it being cleaned; painted and decorated in a flowery theme from the walls to the roofs. It was no more a stock room. "This is sooo lovely. Now, I was thinking about shifting down here again," I told in absolute excitement.

After a divine feast, I was left with my friends while the adults had a separate pack for themselves. To be precise, just a half dozen people- my parents, my sister, her boyfriend Ryan, Liam who was more like an outstretched family and his lovable wife. Here, I was forced to include Julie and Ryan in the adults pack as they called themselves so.

We, the adulting children played 'Who am I?' Austin kept himself away from the games but was always there around us. I could say from the way they look that both Rose and Noah loathed his presence. Despite this veiled bitterness, I had the real fun all day. Rose and Noah left soon. Once they are gone and there was no one else from our school, Austin was back to his original attitude-free self. I felt it funny to be pretending all the while for being famous.

Slowly everyone departed and finally, I was left with Austin and Josh; my two suspects.

"Are you still mad?" Josh asked.

"Nope. You?"

"Neither. It was my fault. I could understand. I know we are just friends. But I thought it wasn't necessary to accomplish that fact to everyone."

"Yeah, I totally get your point. I was the one who over-reacted." I replied. "It's just that I was upset about losing Carol. You know our days back here- me, Carol, Noah, my sister, you... Those were the days." Josh heard me but preferred to be silent. For a split second, I thought about how I got deprived of both Noah and Carol. Noah was around always but just physically. We were no more connected; not as friends anymore. Rose was trying to strike a balance between both of us. Rose always struggled to fill the vacuum created by Carol's departure. But unfortunately, she never triumphed. No matter what, Carol is irreplaceable.

'What is gone is gone forever. I just need to grab myself together and move on and...'

"I was the one responsible for all chaos. Sorry, I wasn't supposed to tell you stuffs like that." Austin's voice brought me back to reality. I and Josh looked at Austin in utter disbelief. "What?" Austin demanded.