6. Destiny presents itself.

Though it had taken a few weeks to adjust to working cons solo, Louie quickly found his footing and established a new reputation for himself. No longer known as Goldie's apprentice, he had earned the nickname of 'The Picasso of Crime'  due to his creativity and approach to his endeavours, the name was also ironic, due to his first solo crime was stealing a Picasso.

His most recent crime had went off without a hitch as well, he had hidden in a fake sarcophagus, that one of his friends had made, and had gotten himself sold to some hotshot trust-fund art student who thought himself a Historian, and would buy multiple artifacts to furnish his upscale New York apartment. The guy basically had a army of security guards to safeguard his numerous purchases, the thing though, was that this 'Historian' knew nothing about history so it was easy to convince him that this Egyptian coffin was the real thing.

After climbing out of the coffin, he made his way to his desired target - not worrying about the camera's spotting having already dealt with them looping old footage, reaching the display case he pulled a glass cutter from his jacket pocket he swiftly sawed through the glass, grabbing his prize : The Grail of Revival - An ancient grail legend to bring the dead back to life when they drank from it. And replaced it with his business card.

Louie slipped the grail into his cushioned backpack for safety then opened a window, took a brief second to drink in the amazing view of the Manhattan skyline before he leaped out of said window. As he fell from the 42nd story he lifted his arm and shot out a grapple line which wrapped itself around a flagpole. Thanks to the harness he had built in to to his jacket he didn't have his arm ripped off from the weight of his body and the pull of gravity as he fell. 

He had to estimate he had fell to the 25th floor which put him one floor higher than the roof of the building opposite him which he swung to, landing with a tactical roll, Louie dusted himself off, climbed down the fire escape, hailed a cab and took off, meeting his friends at their usual hangout. The one-eyed beggar, a bar and grill which doubled as a den for thieves. Dropping into his usual booth, he smiled his million dollar smile at the waitress who came to take his ordered.

"What will it be, Mr. Gold?"

"The usual, Rebecca." - He stated, not even looking at the menu.

"So Cheeseburger, fries and a can of cherry pep?" - Rebecca listed.

"Yep." - She turned, heading to the kitchen.

"Couldn't even wait for us, did you Lou?" - He turned to see the once empty booth now filled with familiar faces.

Thomas, Amelia and Lucy. His closest friends and most trusted allies. - Tommy, a bulldog from Manchester, a reliable fence and a forger with no equal, he was the only one Louie trusted to sell his goods and make his fake ID's. - Amelia, a Raccoon from Quebec and exceptional inventor and mechanic, she built most of the tech he used, like his electronic skeleton key and his grapple gauntlet. - And last but not least, Lucy, a hummingbird from... Well he didn't know and was frankly too scared to ask, she was an equally ranked treasure hunter and badass of the highest order.

The group chatted, joked and ate. If they were in any other establishment they would just look like any other teens. Then the conversation turned...

"Oh, we gotta a gift for ya' mate." 

"Why?" - Louie asked suspiciously, though not opposed to getting a random gift.

"It's your Birthday isn't it?"

Louie checked his phone, sure enough it was April 15th, he was 16 today. - "Yeah today is my Birthday." 

"Well here." - They slipped an envelope across the table, which he promptly tore open, pulling out a spanish museum brochure. 

"What is it?"

"It's the key a better life."

"What?" - Louie asked even more confused then before.

"Louie, why did you choose this life?"

"Uh..."

"I'm guessing the same reason, the rest of us did."

"Uh..." - What they also ran away from the super-rich family members, as they were arrogant and didn't agree with his ideals and methods to making money?

"Because we love money and hate work." - Lucy filled in the blanks.

He skimmed through the brochure. - "The key to a new life is an old prayer scroll? I'm not really all that religious." - He joked.

"Lou, what do you know about the pirate John Kovax?" - Tom asked.

"Captain of the Graveyard, one of the most successful pirates that ever lived, disappeared without a trace." - He rattled off the standard facts.

"What do you know about his treasure?"

"Supposedly, the largest lost treasure in history..." - Louie out the pieces together. - "Are you saying this scroll will lead us to Kovax's legendary treasure."

"Well, if my research is correct. Then yes." - Louie was positively ecstatic at this, due to Lucy's research never being wrong. 

"With the amount of money, the treasure will give us, we could each buy an island!"

"Forget about buying an island, with that amount of money, we each could buy a country!"

Louie basically leaped out of the booth. - "Well what are we waiting for?" - The group followed him out of the bar. None the wiser to the cloaked figure who sat and listened to the whole conversation before getting up and following them out.

Thank you for reading Ch.6 of 'Destiny!'  Next chapter we will finally get in to the main story, Hope to see you in Ch.7 -MM