23. Explanation.

It was 8pm in Duckburg, and time for Bentina Beakley's favourite show: Mallard Manor - The show was based in a manor very unlike the one she worked in, the servant in Mallard Manor never had to chase mythical monsters through their halls, or dust golden artefacts that adorned the walls. It was enjoyable to see how ordinary people dealt with ordinary scenarios.

The show had become a sort of tradition for her to watch with Webby, but it seemed that she wouldn't be joining her tonight. Which was a shame, but not entirely unexpected... as a Scrooge McDuck adventure always seemed to last longer than expected.

Entering the lounge with the big T.V, Beakley placed the tray of assorted biscuits and a teapot she had carried from the kitchen on the coffee table, before pouring herself a cup of tea and taking a seat on the large sofa.

After fluffing some of the pillows, Beakley plucked the remote from off the coffee table and hit the power-button, she settled into the sofa as the screen settled on a dull blue colour as the T.V booted up. Taking a sip of her tea, Beakley smiled, ready for a quiet night in, full of tea, biscuits and television. So she wasn't ready for what would happen next.

The sound of the Manor's front door opening, echoed through the empty house, as well as the pitter-patter of webbed feet on hardwood floors. There was no cheering or laughing or joking that came with an end of McDuck adventure, so either something tragic had happened on the adventure, or this wasn't the McDuck's coming home... and since she hadn't gotten a message from Scrooge about anything happening on the adventure, she was leaning to the latter.

The retired spy moved everything off the tray that she had brought in earlier, and held it towards her chest as she dived behind the sofa, waiting until she heard the door swing open before flinging the tray and charging the intruder.

"BEAKLEY!" - Scrooge shouted as he deflected the incoming serving tray and jumped out of the way of his housekeepers attack. - "Curse me' Kilts, you almost gave me a heart attack."

"Sorry Mr. McDuck." - She apologised, smoothing out her cardigan out. - "I thought you were an intruder."

He let out a yawn. - "No problem Beakley." - He moved past her and stepped into the lounge, followed by the rest of the McDuck's who were wearing a mix of expressions, ranging from angry to upset. Then she noticed the lack of one specific member.

"What happened?"

Della was the first to speak, she seemed to be a mix of all the emotions. - "Well we were on a plane headed to Germany for the-" - She stopped, having trouble expressing herself properly.

Scrooge took over. - "We were after the Scherzschatz chest..." - He said, pulling the old bronze book back out of his coat and flipping to the right page only to see it sitting loosely. - "What in blazes?"

--------------

 "So how did you do it?" - June asked absently, staring out the window of the limo.

"What? Escape?" 

June just hummed, which Louie took as a yes.

"It wasn't easy." - He admitted. - "Took a good bit of planning to outwit them. First I had to create a scenario which I could control, then I could escape. So I went through all of Scrooge's journals and notebooks looking for something that could help me get an edge. But I couldn't." - He took a breath.

"So I came to a conclusion, I would have to create the edge. I took one of the largest, dustiest books from Scrooge's office, and created a fake adventure that would entice him. It took some time to get the adventure to look like it was always part of the book, but when it was ready I placed the book on top of the pile of other books, along with some fake notes in Scrooge's handwriting so it would look like he was already interested in it."

"How would that work? He would of remembered not writing that." - June criticised.

"That's the thing though," - Louie grinned.  - "Scrooge has so many books in his office, that he wouldn't be able to tell what he had and what he hadn't investigated." - He took a sip of his pep that he'd taken from the limo's mini fridge. - "The next part was easier, I had to make sure that I could control where the plane would go, so I sabotaged Della's plane and made sure that every other plane in the city was out of commission, and that the only one available was one under my control."

"So you held all the cards."

"Exactly." - Finishing his pep, Louie crushed the can and dropped it in the limo's bin. - "Once I knew that I could control all the variables, I set my plan into action."

"Clever." - June said dryly.

"I know... it was my magnum opus, my piece de resistance, my masterwo-"

"I already said it was clever." - She cut him off.

The two sat in silence for the next few moments, as the limo drove through the streets of NYC, soon the car finally came to a stop, the two got out, and walked down the street, June dressed in casual clothing, while Louie was currently dressed in as much tourist gear possible, trying to conceal his identity.

The two journeyed off the street, into a building, and into an elevator in said building. Neither speaking through the whole affair, once the elevator doors opened, the two stepped into a spacious penthouse apartment, in the middle of the room there was a large mat, on which two masked figures were fencing.

The smaller of the two figure, parried all of their opponents attacks before jabbing the figure in the chest, signifying the end of the match.

"Good game." - The winner expressed, shaking the opponents hand before removing his mask, revealing the face of one teenage billionaire.

"Ah, Louie!" - Matthew smiled, flashing his impossibly white teeth. - "Good to see!"

"Same to you Matthew." 

"So." - He leaned in. - "Ready to get to work?"

Thanks for reading Ch.23 of 'Destiny!', I know this wasn't the most action-packed chapter, or the most interesting in general, but a little filler every now and then helps pad out the world and explain a few things. Anyway I hope you comment, vote, follow-me and read Ch.24 -MM