8. Personal Hell

Louie had no idea how long it had been. The last thing he remembered was collapsing on the street, then he woke up, in a dark room with an ache in his shoulder, handcuffed to a table. He sat alone for a while, the only noise was the quiet click-clack of him adjusting his cuffs. He waited and waited, bored out of his mind. 

He took his chance to survey the room he was in, it was a basic interrogation room with nothing except a table and two chairs, one either side of it. The walls were baron also, plain grey concrete except for a vent and a large mirror - He had watched enough cheesy 80's cop shows to know they were watching him from behind there. He could easily slip out of his cuffs, but couldn't see a way out of the room: the walls looked solid concrete; the door made of solid steel; and the vent was too small to climb through. 

Seeing no escape, he decided to just sleep. Hoping to wake and find this was all a bad dream, instead he awoke still in the dark room by a slamming door. With a click the light was turned on, revealing a familiar face. He leaned back in his chair, crossed his arms and smiled at her. - "Hello, Agent Bernard. 

Even though he seemed calm and collected, he stared daggers at the woman who shot him.

She sat in the seat opposite him, Her eyes burning his holes into his own, and dropped a file on the table. - "Good morning, Mr. Gold." - Agent Bernard remarked, wearing a smug expression.

Louie slid forward in his chair. - "Please, call me Louie." - He noted that she said morning, his heist occurred in the middle of the afternoon, how long had he been here?

"Fine." - She place a tape recorder on the table. - "Louie," - She said sarcastically. "do you know why you're here?" - She asked the first standard question.

"No idea." - First thing Goldie had taught him, never admit to anything, even if there was undeniable evidence... Like a handful of witnesses, all of which, most likely were wearing body-cams.

She was expecting him to say that. - "Well you are here on suspicion of breaking and entering, theft and assaulting multiple Government officers." - She read down the list.

"I never assaulted anyone." - He choose to disprove that one first.

"Really? We have multiple recordings of you doing just that." - She countered.

"Footage can be edited." - He stated matter-of-factly. 

"We also have numerous eyewitness accounts claiming to see you running away from the museum and the crime-scene."

"Witnesses can be bought." - He said, disproving another piece of evidence.

Bernard grit her teeth, - "So are you saying Interpol was wrong? That there was no break-in and that we are lying?"

"No, I didn't say there was no break in. All I'm saying is that I wasn't involved" - Another thing Goldie had taught him. The best lies incorporate an essence of truth.

"Not only do we have you on this, we have you on numerous other heists. Maybe, leaving businesses cards wasn't that smart." - She smirked, saying the last part quiet than she said the rest of it.

HE shrugged - "My name's common, probably just a coincident."

At that Bernard broke. - "Cut the crap Gold! You can dispute evidence all you want, but we got you, I got YOU!" - She had basically climbed across the table and grabbed him by his collar. 

"BERNARD, HERE NOW!" - An loud voice bellowed out from a speaker on one of the walls.

The anger that had once engulfed Agent Bernard's eyes quickly morphed to fear. Louie noticed it. - "The big bad boss is calling you, don't want to be late do you?" - He taunted, Her eyes narrowed in distaste for the thief and she left, once again leaving him alone.

The moment she left, he heard a shouting match begin from beyond the mirror, he listened closely hoping to here what they were discussing, but the walls and mirror were muffling the sound, so he couldn't decipher any words or phrases, though he picked up that Bernard was angry... extremely angry. 

The shouting stopped and soon after the door to the interrogation room swung open and Bernard stepped through. The smug expression that she wore earlier had disappeared, now she wore one of pure rage. - "What happened? You get chewed out by yo..." - The snaky remark died in his throat, when she pulled out her pistol and shot him in his other shoulder. His body went numb before he fell unconscious again.

-------------

This time when he awoke, he wasn't in some dark dingy room, he was in a bed in a furnished room with light pouring through the windows. 

"Huh... Maybe it was just a bad dream." - He mumbled to himself. Sitting up, he felt the dull ache settle in his shoulders again. Not a dream. He spotted a pile of neatly folded clothes in a chair on the opposite side of the room. When he got up he noticed something attached to his leg. It was an ankle-monitor. - "If this is prison, I'm fine with it." - He loudly remarked, wondering if there were any cameras or recording devices in the room.

He slipped on the outfit left out for him, which consisted of a green zip hoodie and black undershirt. They didn't look like traditional prison uniforms and the door was a large wood door, no metal bars in sight. He grabbed the handle and pulled it open, it wan't even locked. Stepping out into the hallway, he stepped into his own personal hell. Sprinting through the familiar hallways decorated with beige wallpaper and oak flooring adorned with blood red carpet.

He made it down the grand staircase without running into anyone, and was a step from the front door, when he finally heard a voice. - "Going somewhere Gold?" 

He grit his teeth at the voice. - "Yeah, away from here." 

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

"Why? You gonna shoot me again?" - He snapped back

"Nope." - She answered truthfully.

He scoffed at her, and pulled on the handle. The moment he did, he felt a sharp sting in his ankle before he dropped. He spasmed on the floor for seconds, drool seeping from his mouth and onto the carpet. The moment the pain subsided, he leaped to his feet and glared at the Agent. - "WHAT WAS THAT." - He barked at her.

"That Ankle-Monitor you're wearing is fixed with a GPS tracker and a shocking device." - He stared at the hunk of plastic strapped to his leg. - "It's also tamper proof and is unlocked with a Key-Card, so no lock-picking it off."

"What stops me from just tackling you and taking the key card."

"Two things, One : My pistol..."

Louie interrupted her. - "You got lucky with the first two shots, you won't get a third." - He countered. - "What's your second point?"

A voice thundered from behind Louie. - "She's not the one, with the Key-Card." 

Thanks for reading Ch.8 of 'Destiny!', hope you comment, vote and read Ch.9 -MM