The "Over" in "Lover"

"You could have got hurt!" Sophie yelled  anger glinting in her eyes as she glared at Keefe.

She never felt so frustrated, so upset, so betrayed.

"But you were sedated! And it was an emergency!" Keefe shouted back, and Sophie never seen him so... angry before. Not even at Lady Gisela.

"So? You could have woke me up, so I can actually use my abilties! What can reading emotions do at a battle?" Sophie screamed, the knots of bitterness unknotting in her gut.

Keefe looked taken aback, then did Sophie realise what she meant. "No, I didn't mean that-"

"No, I know that as well. But you needed to rest Sophie! You needed to recover! We can't afford to lose you. I can't afford to lose you!"

Sophie saw the tears welling up in Keefe's eyes as he pinch his nose in frustration.

Sophie took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Keefe."

"Maybe, it's true. I don't have what it takes. We're too different." Keefe dead panned, his ice blue eyes not meeting Sophie's.

Sophie's breath hitched. Then she realised how different they really were.

Sophie was always the hero, and he was destined to be a villain, although she knew him well enough, too well actually, that he would never leave them.

Sophie had a loving family who was always there for her, while Keefe had to learn to bear the storm himself.

They were too different.

Way too different.

She slumped back onto her bed, watching Keefe still not meeting her eyes.

"What do you mean?" She choked out the words, although knowing well that she knew the answer.

"I mean that I don't deserve you," he replied, in one of the most hurt, miserable, quiet voices Sophie ever heard.

"No, please don't," Sophie begged as she ran up to Keefe, trying to piece the broken pieces together.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean all of that at all. I was just angry, and- and I'm such an idiot. I know you wanted me to be safe, you fought for me. Please, please don't leave me. Can you say something? A joke? Or even just move?"

Sophie felt her tears drip onto Keefe's tunics as the pair of arms wrapped around her.

"Don't cry Foster. It hurts to see you like that." He whispered.

"And you really are an idiot. The most loveable idiot ever," he felt a smile curl up on his shoulder as he said that.

"Can you promise me something?" Sophie asked, breaking the hug.

"When I'm scared, can I hold your hand?" She asked, the brown eyes desperate.

"Sure Foster," Keefe gave a sad smile.

Sophie grabbed his hand immediately, and Keefe glanced around the room for any potential danger.

"I'm scared you'll let me go," Sophie whispered as she leaned against Keefe.

"I'll never let you go, Foster."

Sophie grabbed the collar of his tunic as she leaned forward, her lips touching his soft ones as they kissed, and Sophie felt another tear slip down her cheek.

Their noses touched as they broke the kiss, Keefe staring into Sophie's dreamy eyes as he repeated his promise.

"I'll never let you go."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

・✫・゜・。