The Little Keychain

It was just like any other keychain.

Probably had hundred thousands of those pretty souvenirs, some still hung on bags, wallets, or just a bunch of keys. Maybe some were even thrown away.

Yet whenever Sophie played with it, it sent a tide of nostalgia, bringing back the very memories she would never want to forget.

It was pretty dirty, a little chipped at the side even, since it was a work of wood at the base, but she loved it the very same, perhaps even more.

It was a simple keychain.

Just like any other that might be hanging on your bag right now.

It was just a wooden heart, painted in simple and plain white, the texture was defiantlryt there, and it was a little rough, making the very craftsmanship and handmade design outstandingly ordinary.

The best part was that it acted as her lucky charm.

She would clutch on to it, as if her life depended on it's pure immense luck, and it slowly became one of her nervous habits.

It worked like a charm each time though.

She smiled as she remembered how he gave it to her.

It was snowing, and of course her heart fluttered to the thought of making the scene even more romantic.

His coat was wrapped around her, the ice blue eyes seeming to be so special in the sea of glistening white snow, feeling like it was a special snowflake.

No one could match his personality.

No one could love her even more than he did.

No one would love him even more than she did.

Maybe it was that heart that made hers grow bigger for him.

That special keychain that made her heart pulse, like she just chased and tried to reach the end of a rainbow.

She could still remember how she scooted over to him, to get some warmth. He laughed as he pulled her closer, and she still remembered the smell of the hot cocoa drifting in the air.

She could still remember every detail of his face then, some snow stuck on his eyelashes, and his cheeks flushed from the cold, yet he still gave her his coat seeing her shivering.

His tousled blond hair had that little bit of snow of it too, and she playfully ruffled his hair, knowing how he hated others doing that to him.

He let her do it though. Sure, he would try to escape her hand, since his hair was styled to perfection, but Sophie knew that he would let her do anything she pleased.

He loved her like that.

She felt a grin spread across her face as she studied the heart keychain, realising there was a small carved out initials there, a K and a S.

Huh, Sophie didn't realise that before. Perhaps it was because she would just study the front of it, and never really looked closely at the base.

She played with the keychain a little longer.

She still remembered how he gave it to her.

He dangled it in front of her eyes, and it looked so special.

"Where did you get this from?" Sophie asked as she took it, analysing the wooden heart. She could feel her own heart beat at a speed of a hummingbird's wing, and luckily she could blame the cold for making her blush.

"I think my mom gave it to me, but it's yours now. Just remember a part of me is always with you," he smirked, and Sophie smiled sweetly.

"I love it," she whispered as she hugged him.

She knew how much he missed his mother, and for him to give her one of these special gifts he had left of her, she felt like she was the most extraordinary, the most special, simply the luckiest girl in the universe to be loved by someone like him.

She could remember how she released the hug, and leapt forward to kiss him.

She touched her lips, still remembering the spark of warmth, a tingling sensation she loved to share with him, as he kissed her back.

She didn't need to do anything to keep this fire, this big ball of heat, to keep it alive. It was purely from the both of them, their affection for one another.

She still remembered those sweet, welcoming and simply remarkable hundred seconds, although she wished it could last a hundred more.

"Did I tell you that you look really pretty today?" His smirk spread on his face as he complimented her, making it look like the most natural thing ever.

Sophie felt her cheeks grow warmer, even when a cold gust of wind tried to hit it out of her.

"Did I tell you that I love you?" She asked, burying her face into his chest as he pecked the top of her head.

"You don't need to say it, I know," he whispered.

Sophie was smiling uncontrollably as she relived the memory.

She knew that he was the one.

The one that clicked right in with her, like pieces of a jigsaw puzzel that fit perfectly.

"Foster? You still keep that?" Keefe walked into the room, her still gazing at the keychain.

"I bring it wherever I go," Sophie agreed as he came over to hug her.

"I love you," she felt the need to say it, a reminder to him that she would never leave his side, an unbreakable vow that they made silently through their loud actions.

"More than the keychain?" He teased as he leaned forward.

"Way more than the keychain," she replied as she kissed him again, the feeling between them still the same as that winter day.

She closed her eyes, feeling his heart thump against his chest, beating, filled with the compassion and love just for her.

And she didn't need any more proof.

The little keychain said it all.

・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

・✫・゜・。