1|Bake Sale

[H U M A N  A U]
Sophie leaned against her locker, as she waited for Keefe. She quickly wrote down what she was doing to make for the Bake Sale, hoping that would help her remember.

"You're late," Sophie noted as Keefe strode over to her.

His messy-ly tousled blonde hair and striking ice blue eyes always made Sophie's heart beat a little faster, and she liked to call it "hummingbird mode", although she was pretty sure it was almost illegal to have those feelings for your best friend.

"Sorry Foster. I had to have a talk with Lady Cadence," he made a face that made Sophie laugh as he said it.

"Whatever, come on! Cupcakes are awaiting us!" Sophie said as she dragged Keefe.

"Wait am I baking with you?" Keefe asked. Sophie sent him the look, "Duh. Dad wouldn't mind."

Grady, Sophie's dad, always had a thing for Keefe. Like in a bad way. He would always be super wary about Keefe whenever he came over, which was why Keefe always just dropped her off and ran off.

"Um, I could just drop you off-"

"Nope. You're helping me," Sophie grinned as he slumped in defeat.

"Fine, but you will owe me a cupcake!" Keefe smriked. Sophie shrugged. "I will have five extras, so there's enough for a taste-test!"

Keefe drove them to her house, and there was a noticeable hesitation as Keefe stepped into the house.

"Hey kiddo!" Grady hugged Sophie once she stepped in, and his once friends demeanour immediately subsided to a glare as he noticed Keefe.

"Hi Grady, I'm just going to help Foster her make cupcakes," Keefe tried to sound casual as Sophie stepped in to save him.

"Yup, for the bake sale! We better get going, Keefe can't stay for long." Sophie smiled.

"Would you like to stay for dinner?" Edaline, Sophie's mom asked. She always encourage the two to spend more time together, and always had this goofy smile when there was a sort of a moment.

"Nope it's fine, I have fencing classes in four hours," Keefe smiled.

Grady looked somewhat impressed and Sophir had a smug smile as she grabbed his hand to the kitchen.

"Can I have that apron?" He asked, pointing to the one Sophie was just about to have.

It had a cupcake on it, and it was always Sophie's favourite. "No! You wear Edaline's." Sophie passed him a hot pink one.

Keefe sulked. "Please Foster? I'm helping you aren't I?" Sadly, he had a point.

Sophie reluctantly passed him her cupcake one, and he happily put it on.

Somehow the apron made him look like a sort of nerd. A good looking one though. Sophi laughed as he opened the bag of flour, the flour getting onto his face instead.

"Pft, it's not funny," he huffed as he tried to wipe his white face.

Sophie, who was now clutching her stomach, tried her best to cover her mouth, but it only made it funnier.

Then flour was thrown onto her face.

Keefe stifled his laugh at her priceless reaction. "We're not going to start a food fight. Edaline will kill me for making a mess." She warned as she tried to wipe it away on her apron.

"Oh fine. Can I make the buttercream?" Keefe asked.

"Sure, just don't add too much sugar." Sophie warned as she passed him the bag of sugar.

Keefe nodded and they were set to work, with their faces covered in flour.

After a whole tiring hour of baking, the cupcakes were finally ready.

"Is the buttercream done?" Sophie asked.

Keefe laughed nervously as he tried it. "By any chance, is this salt?" Keefe asked.

Sophie's face was of pure horror as she ran back to the cabinet.

True enough, the bag she took was salt.

She tried the buttercream, which was so salty she didn't know if the Dead Sea was as salty as that.

"What are we going to do?" Sophie screamed as she sat on the chair in defeat.

"We can add caramel!" Keefe suggested.

"That won't work! Wait, actually it just might," Sophie admitted, not really wanting to face the fact that he suggested a genius idea.

"I'm a genius, aren't I?" Keefe grinned, and Sophie couldn't help but smear some of the buttercream onto his face.

"What was that for?" He laughed as he reached for buttercream, reaching for Sophie's face.

She yelped as she ran away from him, but she quickly felt a pair of arms grab her waist. "No!" She laughed as Keefe spread the buttercream on her nose.

"Now we're even!" He declared with triumph as he set her down. She wiped off the buttercream on her nose and ate it, forgetting that it was salt.

"Okay, so do we melt the caramel or just add the chunks of it inside?" Keefe asked as he took out the cubes of caramel.

"We should melt them, that way it'll be even." Sophie decided as she went to the stove. The cupcakes cooled as they prepared the now sea-salted caramel buttercream.

"I guess this makes it less plain," Sophie shrugged as she piped out the buttercream, forming a perfect spiral.

She beamed, proud of her work.

"I can do better," Keefe teased as he walked over to her.

"No offence, but you're a guy," Sophie snickered.

"So what if I am?" Keefe asked.

"Guys don't like baking," Sophie pointed out.

"Observe," Keefe smirked as he took the piping bag.

Somehow, he managed to create a rose out of buttercream. Sophie gasped in awe as she looked at it.

"Fine, you win," Sophie admitted.

"I always do," Keefe grinned.

"Since you're so good at it, help me do the rest!" Sophie smiled as she pushed the tray of cupcakes to him.

After complaining for a while, he was set to work as Sophie ate a cupcake contentedly by his side.

"All done!" Keefe declared as he finsihed his last cupcake.

"And you have something rightttt here," Keefe said as he wriped off some buttercream from the side of Sophie's mouth.

His finger didn't even touch her lips, yet her heart fluttered, and she was pretty sure her face had gone red.

As Keefe rearranged the cupcakes, Sophie stated at him.

Would it be weird if she confessed to him here and now?

She could get it over and done with, and that was way easier than hiding it.

She took a deep breath as she stared at his cheek.

It wouldn't be too bad if it was on the cheek right? Sophie cringed at herself.

Then she leaned in, and gave a quick peck on his cheek.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.