3|The Reason

Sophie's heart must have skipped a beat as she leaped forward to snatch the piece of paper as Keefe reached out for it.

"What's that?" He asked, a smirk plastered on his face.

Sophie's brain was screaming the entire time as she blushed and tore it.

"Nothing you should concern yourself with," she mumbled, wishing her heart wasn't squeezing so tight and that her face wasn't red.

"Right," his smirk got even bigger as her fingers shifted nervously with the crumpled paper.

"Why are you here anyway? Do you need something?" Sophie asked, hoping he wouldn't notice the subject change.

Instead, he rubbed the back of his neck.

Was he...

Nervous?

That word was rarely used to describe Keefe, and that made Sophie giggle as he twisted his fingers around, as if wanting to say something.

"Um, I just wanted to say sorry," he started, finally looking at Sophie in the eye.

Sophie frowned. "For what?"

"You know, base quest," his face spun away, cheeks blushing as Sophie was certain that he recalled the thought.

Her cheeks warmed up too, and she mumbled, "It's fine, you're not at fault. If anyone was, that would be Biana."

Keefe nodded in agreement, and silence filled the air as Sophie pondered on what to say next to continue the conversation, and to break the silent tension.

"Do you think Biana did it on purpose?"

That slipped instead.

And she took a second to realize she was the one who asked it as Keefe shrugged.

"She might, and if she really did, I have my best pranks awaiting her," Keefe's smirk came back, and Sophie laughed, very much liking the fact that it wasn't awkward anymore.

Still, she still could feel the tiny bit of warmth on her lips, and that was enough to make her blush madly again.

Seriously though, how was she going to deal with this?

To get it straight, she had two options.

1. Confess about her little newfound crush, and get her heart broken as she gets rejected.

2. Hide her feelings forever, ignore Keefe as long as possible, and wait for the feelings for him to cripple up, wither, and die.

Yeah... that wasn't two very good scenarios.

Still, she had a third option.

3. Run away to the Forbidden Cities, hide there for the rest of eternity and never see him ever again.

A tad bit extreme, but that was all the plans she could think of.

Her mind switched back to the little daydreams of ice blue eyes, until the replay of how shocked Keefe was when his lips met hers.

It couldn't be out of horror... could it?

Sophie's heart plummeted.

If it was, which was totally possible understanding the fact that they were so close they could practically be siblings, that would mean that she was definitely going to get rejected if she confessed.

How was she going to confess?

Should she get it over and done with?

Her mind flicked to different scenarios of her, finally confessing her feelings, but in all the scenarios, Keefe told her that she was like his little sister-