102. surveillance

By daybreak, we had received word on Octavia, somewhat relieving my worries. She was alive, but had been taken to Polis. I could rest somewhat easy in the fact that Clarke would hopefully look out for her. But nonetheless, anxiety still hung over my head.

I stood in the courtyard, helping with the harvest once again. Despite the fact that I was beyond angry with him, I couldn't help but let my eyes travel toward Bellamy who stood in the watch tower with Pike and Monty's mother.

They seemed to be in a serious discussion about something, I could only garner a guess of what it was over.

I had focused back on my task when Bellamy's voice carried through the air. "Open the gates!" he ordered, jumping from the watch tower ladder and making his way toward the gates.

"Do as he says." Pike instructed, following Bellamy down the ladder.

I stood up, dusting off my hands as I made my way toward the front gate in curiosity. Bellamy's tone made me nervous, and I feared that whatever was on the other side of those gates was going to cause problems.  As the doors opened, my eyes fell on two Grounders sat atop horses. I watched from a safe distance as Bellamy approached the two men.

"We seek the one you call Pike." One of the men announced. I felt my heart drop, it was Everett, the Grounder who had helped me after the explosion at Mount Weather. I could see his blonde hair peeking out from behind the mask, and his voice was unmistakeable. Worry bubbled in my chest...what was about to happen?

Bellamy didn't waver as he spoke, "Why?"

The other Grounder spoke up, "An army has fallen, blood soaking the Earth where he took their lives one by one."

I felt myself taking steps forward as I watched the interaction. If I was in charge, I would have given up Pike right then and there. But I wasn't, so instead I had to watch the interaction helplessly.

Bellamy's voice was cold in response. "Welcome to the war against Skaikru."

"Life was taken." Everett continued, "We demand life in return."

A crowd had gathered around the gates as Pike stepped forward, "My life?" when the Grounders didn't say anything, Pike continued. "What are your terms?"

"Sir-" Bellamy warned, shooting a sideway glance toward Pike.

"Come with us." Everett explained, "And we walk away." Sounded like a pretty good deal to me.

"Walk away?" Pike questioned, "From what?"

"By order of the Commander, you have been surrounded by an army of the 12 clans. " The other Grounder shot back, "In every direction warriors wait to kill. Anyone who attempts to cross the blockade will be killed. To greet them, as we greeted those we caught outside your walls today." he paused, throwing something toward Bellamy and Pike.

A gasp flew from my lips, as did one from many others when we realized they were bloodied guards uniforms. Pike's guards who had gone out earlier to survey the area had never returned...now we know why.

"We left the bodies for the animals." The unknown Grounder announced.

"That's enough." Bellamy warned. I couldn't see his face, but I could imagine the expression he wore.

As the Grounders began to back up, Pike mumbled something to Bellamy, who in turn said something back. I could now see part of his face, and he was angry, and worried.

"The men who wore those uniforms," the man began, "Took a long time to die."

Pike began falling back, ordering Bellamy to do the same as the Grounders spoke again. "If you do not give up your leader, you will all take a long time to die. Choose the side that's best for your people."