Chapter 5

-YANGA BESS

“I cant tell you how to feel because I don’t know how you feeling right now but I think you being unfair”

I shoot him a look, he cant possibly be serious

“Hear me out. This happened years ago, mom and dad sorted things out and dad lives to regret what he did to mom all those years ago. This happened to mom and not you, she seems to have dealt with it. Maybe you should go for therapy and deal with it too”

Kyle says with his eyes on the road. I cant believe he would tell me to get over it

“I only just found out about this. It may have happened a long time ago Kyle but I only just found out today. You cant expect me to just get over it like you and everyone else. Its still fresh for me”

He nods

“Fine. Have it your way, be mad at dad. Throw tantrums but what is that going to get you huh? Mom and dad love each other and how you feel about dad right now wont change a single thing about how mom feels about him. You think about that while you so busy wallowing in your anger”

He’s right, he has a point and I hate that he’s right because really my mother doesn’t look at my father any different than all those years. All I’ve ever seen in Yaya’s eyes is love for my father and for the rest of us which can be said the same for dad.

“Do you think Boobie and Nuni know?”

I ask and he shrugs

“Does it matter?”

He asks and I shrug my shoulders

“I don’t know. I don’t think they would have been ok with it. I mean Nuni would have done something to punish dad for it if they knew”

I say and he shrugs

“Probably not but they know better than to stick their noses in mom and dad’s business. Even if they could interfere, the finally decision lay with Yaya and she loves dad and stuck with him even after everything”

Kyle says and I just nod. My phone rings and its aunty Ase

“Aunty”

I answer

“Hey kiddo, how are you?”

She asks sounding ever so concerned

“Mom or dad tell you?”

She chuckles

“Your mom. She’s worried”

“I’m assuming you knew?”

I ask but it’s more of a statement

“I knew. I found out a couple of days after it happened. I bit your mother’s head off and had a go at your father but you know how your mother is about your father. She begged me not to tell your grandparents and I never told them. Yanga you need to understand that your parents have been together for over 25 years now and it doesn’t matter what you or any of us may say or assume. It remains the same, they love each other”