Chapter 53

-MACELLA BROWN

South Africa is always a breath of fresh air, I really enjoy being this side despite the circumstances that brought us this side. Unlike the others I arrived with Yaya and Melo since my schools closed first. Losing such a big part of the family has really cut deep for all of us. Yaya and Melo have gone to the hospital leaving all of us in the house with Aunty Iyana’s children, well they not kids considering they are older than the rest of us. 

“Hello?”

I answer Yanga’s phone, he’s in the house while I’m outside with the others

“Hi, may I speak to Yanga?”

says a female voice, I remove the phone from my ear and it's an unsaved number

“May you please hold on a sec”

I say and then head inside and meet him about to come out

“Someone wants to talk to you”

I say handing his phone to him

“Oh”

he says taking it and walking out with me answering the person calling him, I head to sit with Aya and the others. The atmosphere is not as emotional as expected, I think we were all prepared for the news considering we were with him just yesterday at the hospital and he was laughing and making jokes with us but he did say his goodbyes to all of us. He literally said something to each one of us, when he got to me he said “I haven’t known you for long but your art tells a story. Don’t ever stop painting, don’t let anyone try and convince you otherwise with your art. It will take you places if you believe in yourself and I believe in you. You going to surpass Yaya but don’t tell her I said that. You’re an amazing person dear child and I am fortunate to have met you before I depart from this world” I won't lie he had me emotional when he said that to me, yes Melo and Yaya are constantly motivating me but it's different when it comes from a man on his deathbed.

“You and Yanga good?”

Aya asks and I turn my attention to her

“Huh?”

She nods towards Yanga’s direction, he’s on the phone and all blushy

“I mean you and him, how are things?”

She repeats and I shrug

“We good I guess. Nothing out of the ordinary. Did you and Roland ever talk?”

She nods

“We did and I found out that he was talking to a jeweller to get me a custom made ring after I accused him of cheating on me”

I laugh at her so much that she ends up laughing too

“You were an idiot”

I tell her and she rolls her eyes

“I know and I feel bad, he’s mad at me. So mad that he’s not even answering my calls. he’s being dramatic about the whole situation, it's like he was waiting for me to mess up so that he can avoid me”