Kabanata 33

Save

"Here we go!" the host enthusiastically said.

I maintained my charismatic smile despite the loud thumping of my heart. I eyed the audience with confidence. I've been doing this for countless times but there's just really no getting used to the jitters once you're on stage. It's truly part of the process, I guess.

"This year's Sinulog Festival Queen is.."

Drum rolls instantly filled our ears. I did sense the growing suspense and anticipation so I can tell that the sound served its purpose effectively. The crowd may have felt it too because they are nearly crossing their fingers by now.

"None other than.."

I was smiling to myself with pure contentment and satisfaction. Whatever the result may be, I am already proud of myself. I did my best and I was able to make it this far. I enjoyed the whole experience. That's all that matters.

"Candidate #5! Yara Isabelle Savellano of Talisay City!"

My heart jumped.

Gulat at pagkabigla ang inisyal kong reaksyon ngunit hindi ko iyon hinayaang magtagal sa mukha ko. Mabilis kong nilapatan ng matamis na ngiti ang ekspresyon. 

I then graced my way towards the center with fearlessness, charm, and elegance. 

Ang nag-abot ng parangal ay pinaulanan ako ng pagbati. Hindi naman mabura ang malawak na ngiti sa labi ko habang panay ang pasasalamat at munting pagtango.

"Congratulations again, ladies!" the emcee exclaimed with full energy.

Me, together with my co-winners, compressed in the middle of the stage for the picture taking.

"We hope to see you all on Sunday for the Sinulog sa Sugbo!"

Panay pa rin ang hiyawan ng mga nanonood habang ngumingiti kami sa camera.

"Viva Pit Señor!" huling sigaw ng host bilang pagwawakas sa programa.

Maraming patalastas pa ang nangyari pagkatapos. Bukod sa ilang humiling na makakuha ng litrato kasama ako ay may ilan pang nakipag-usap din sakin na mga hurado.

"I'm impressed, iha!" the middle-aged distinguished woman said. "And surprised too dahil palagay ko'y ngayon lang kita nakita sa pageant scene! Is this your first time?"

I smiled politely before shaking my head. "No po. I've been joining minor local beauty pageants before. But this is my first time trying something as grand as Sinulog,"

Bumilog ang bibig niya. "Well then, you should aim for more and bigger ones, iha! You got me on my first time watching you. You really have the knack for this!"