Kabanata 38

Need

"Why didn't you tell me?" 

His eyes stayed on the road while driving but both his brows faintly hoisted up in curiosity. Still with the same pleasant expression that he got since a while ago.

He gave me a brief glance.

"Hmm?" he idly said before bringing back his gaze in front.

I hesitated a bit before I sighed.

"About.. the incident," I swallowed. "Why.. didn't you tell me that.. it was all.. made up,"

Nakita kong bahagya siyang natigilan. His lips even parted a bit.

I squeezed my fingers at his reaction.

"I know.. it was my fault for not letting you explain before but.." my eyes questioningly turned to him. "You had all the chance to tell me from the moment I came back and yet.. you still didn't."

I gazed at him keenly. 

"Why?"

He didn't look at me. His line of vision was still on the way as his face remained unreadable.

His mouth opened as if he was about to say something but he just closed it again.

Until he later on heaved a sigh.

"I've been.. told that it might not be a very good idea to suddenly open up about a painful memory," he slowly started in a soft tone. "Especially for someone who just healed.."

His eyelids blinked peacefully while still on the road before he swiftly directed his gaze on me.

"As much as I badly want you to take me back, I fear that my urgency would only make it difficult for you.." he eyed me with sincerity. "I don't want to take away your inner peace, Yara. I know how much you worked hard for that. You endured so much just to establish that."

He then delicately lick his lip. I almost chased his eyes when he effortlessly took it back on the way.

I can feel my heart making dinky little prickles inside my chest. The sensation was endearing. 

I dropped my gaze to my tightly joined hands.

"I'm.. sorry," I muttered in a small voice. "I'm sorry for.. not giving you the chance to be heard before." I released a deep breath. "I should have known better. I should have know you better than anyone else. I should have known that you won't do that to me. " 

I swallowed. "If only I've held on my faith in you and listened.. things wouldn't have been so complicated," I whispered.