The soldiers and the citizens (pt.2)

@ac110807

A/N  Another thank you to the co-authour of this oneshot! Go check out their oneshot book!

Clove looked up at Cato with the same look he looked at her.

What was it about him?

This boy...he  reminded her of someone. 

An old friend? Current friend? Classmate?

She couldn't remember. But it was something about those twinkling blue eyes, and spiky blonde hair.

She could picture him laughing, but he hadn't laughed once since they met.

But the thing that made her the most uncomfortable was the memory of his arms around her.

She shook her head.

It was someone else. 

Clove drew her knife out of her pocket.

"Cato! French chic!"

Cloves head snapped up, coolly regarding the tall, skinny brown haired boy.

"Hey marvel. You came back?" Cato questioned.

He nodded coming up beside the pair.

"Figured you might need help walking or something, but apparently you're fine..."

Cato nodded.

"Clove helped."

Marvel narrowed his eyes, then a look of realization came over his face.

"Oh...so French chic is a good nurse?"

"My name is Clove," she snapped angrily. "Not French chic."

Marvel smirked.

"My bad."

Clove quickly looked up, realizing she heard something.

 "Shh. German soldiers up ahead. I'll take them out then you two follow ahead." she stated diving off towards the bridge. 

 "Wait what shouldn't-" Marvel was cut off by two muffled screams.

 Clove strolled back, specks of blood smeared across her simple grey dress, her knife dripping in blood.

 Marvel and Cato shared a glance. The two boys continued to walk forward, staring in disbelief. 

The German soldiers laid dead on the dirt ground, leaving the posts unguarded. 

 "Come on. Let's go,"Clove muttered. 

Cato hesitantly gulps and followed the girl. 

That feeling came back once again.

This girl...He couldn't place a finger on it but this girl scared him...and she was deadly.

"She's a deadly chick huh,"Marvel muttered to Cato as they walked crouched along side each other. 

 "Don't call her chick. You saw what she did to those soldiers. She could be a soldier herself,"Cato snapped.

 "Yeah. She reminds me of your friend you told me about the one that moved away. Something like Chloe or Cleo or something," Marvel whispered. 

Chloe or Cleo?

The group came to a sudden halt as they hear a rifle load behind them. 

 "Who's there?"

 "Soldiers, Marvel Sanford and Cato Hadley along with a French citizen,"Cato called turning around. 

Suddenly a young man came into view.

"Ah. Hadley, Sanford. I've heard about you two. I'm Peeta Mellark."

He was a muscular and buff eighteen-year-old boy from America, the stars and stripes displayed proudly on his right bicep.

Close behind him, a bronze haired, greenish eyed British paratrooper. Finnick O'dair. 

"Who's this?" Peeta asked, gesturing down to the girl. 

 "Clove. And so help me if you call me French Chick like him,"Clove growled, sending a dirty look at Marvel during the word "him". 

Clove carried on walking with the boys behind.

 "Is that blood on her dress?"Peeta whispered.

"Long story,"Cato said smirking slightly. "She scares me..."

"She's kinda cute," Finnick said quietly under his breath.

Cato turned, glaring at the boy.

"Oh shut up."

Finnick rolled his eyes.

"Don't tell me you've got feelings for her."

Cato snorted.

"Of course not. Don't be an idiot."

Marvel raised an eyebrow.

"Come on. Don't lie to yourself. She's cute...feisty-"

"What are you talking about?"

Cato blanched as Clove whipped around to face them, eyes narrowed, knife still in hand.

"Nothi-"

"He has a crush on you," Marvel quickly interrupted.

Clove raised an eyebrow at Cato, a tiny smirk pulling at the corner of her lip.

"Well..."she started. "That's interesting. You may tell him...he isn't so bad himself."

Clove turned back around, the smirk on her face growing, while the redness in Catos face increased. 

Peeta elbowed Cato a grin plastered on his face.

"You do know...it might be hard to get a girlfriend in the middle of a war though," he said absent mindedly. 

"I have no desire to date her! I just met her you idiots! Besides she is simply a random French girl!"

Clove eyed the boys, aware of their words, but not caring very much...Sort of.

"Boys," she muttered, "Nothing but trouble."

Yet...she couldn't deny the fact that the tall blonde was rather handsome, and endearing.

She still didn't know why she felt such a strong connection with him.

A smile returned to her face as she replayed the words Marvel has spoken. 

"He has a crush on you"

Childish...maybe...but it still felt rather good to know something like that.

"Alright it's just up ahead. Varaille château. That's where you need to be,"Clove said to the men behind her.

 She pointed to an old building alive with German chatter and machine gun fire. 

 "But that's not where we need to be. Finnick's E Company and Peeta's A company and we're C Company,"Marvel said.

 "Well that's their problem. Not yours. Not mine,"Clove snaps.

Marvel huffed.

"I'll be heading off then," Clove began, looking back the way they came. "Mark should be expecting me..."

Cato noticed the lack of eagerness in her voice. Like she didn't necessarily love the idea of going back.

"You-You can stay if you want."

The words slipped from Catos lips before he could stop them, earning a glare from from Marvel.

"She's a girl! And a French citizen! Not a paratrooper!" He hissed, as Cato shook his head.

Clove turned her head towards Cato, with a little smirk.

"Maybe...if you give me a gun!"