The day I met him (pt.5)

Cloves PoV

I sit around the flickering campfire, while a random camper tells a not so scary story.

I feel Cato's eyes on me, but refuse to look up. 

I know he's still mad. He was mad the entire day. Throughout all the activities and games, and lunch and dinner. He wouldn't even talk to any of the girls. Yet he won't stop looking at me. Staring me down. Almost trying to make eye contact.

"Do you feel bad?"

I glare at Johanna as she leans over, glancing between Cato and I, who I have noticed, has broken his gaze.

"No."

"Yeah right."

"I don't care."

She huffs slightly.

"You think he's hot though right? And you're a bit regretful that you don't get to have fun with that?"

"Hell no!"

"Stop lying. You know I'm right."

"If you like him so much why don't you 'have fun with that'," I hiss.

"I have a boyfriend stupid."

"Well you seem plenty enamored with him and his pretty boy body..."

"We're friends. Have been for ages. Now shut up and just try to at least get along with him for the rest of the week. Then...you can leave back to your home and you never have to see him or the rest of us again."

She sighs, turning her head to stare at the flames.

"Are you hinting that you are going to miss me?" I say smirking slightly.

"Maybe. Whatever. It's just...you're kinda cool and um...yeah."

"Awww, so sweeeeet," I snort gently punching Jo's arm.

"Well...will you come back next year?"

"Probably....Not."

"Why?"

"I...I don't exactly like it here."

"Can you please come back next year?"

"You want me to?"

"M...Maybe..."

I laugh slightly.

"It's just...I dunno. I don't get along with any of the girls that well. I mean...I kinda like them but I just...can't relate with any of them. You're actually sorta cool."

"Sorta?"

"Yeah. Sorta," She smirks. "Plus the boys like you too."

"Not anymore..."

"It'll be ok once you guys settle your differences...and maybe like...make out in the forest..."

I punch Jos arm and she chuckles.

"You're disgusting."

"You want to though."

"Holy shit," I murmur. "How many times must I tell you?!"

"I know I know! I'm just joking! It's fine. But you see him looking at you right?"

"Maybe..."

"He looks sad. Not mad."

"Your point?"

"He doesn't hate you. He just wishes he could be with you."

"When did you become the love advice giver?"

"Since I shipped Clato."

"What?!"

"Clato. Clove plus Cato."

I shake my head and sigh.

"You're an idiot."

"Perhaps..."

"SM'ORES!"

I look up as a kid screams, holding up a bag of marshmallows, and graham crackers.

"Aw yeah! Food!" Johanna grins.

The bag of Marshmallows is passed around and I grab one, stabbing a stick through it. 

"Ugh marshmallows are the beeeeesssttt," Johanna sighs, taking a bite of her gooey sugary snack.

I nod in agreement.

"You done?"

"Yep," I murmur.

"Why don't we go," Johanna suggests. "This fire is boring. We can go with the group, out into the forest and have our own chat. You can talk to Cato, and get the rest of the guys on your side."

"That'd be fun."

Johanna nods standing. She glances around at the different members of her...our, friend group, giving them a little signal.

"Miss Kentwell, Mason. Where are you two going?"

I notice Counselor Effie staring at us, arms folded across her chest. She already doesn't like us due to the amount of trouble we've caused during day activities.

"Bed. Been a long day," Johanna quickly says.

"Fine."

We quickly scamper down the dark wooded path, and Johanna smirks.

"The rest will come in sections. Two or three at a time. We do this every year, and Trinket still doesn't have a clue."

"Ok so what? We just...wait." 

"Mhm."

I sigh and sit down on a fallen log, in the area that Jo has proclaimed our spot.

"Now. We wait."

We sit in silence for about three minutes when I hear a voice behind us.

"Hey there!"

Blight, Finnick and Cato stand beside us, as Blight goes up to Johanna, giving her a little peck on the cheek."

"Stop that nasty."

"Ugh. I'm just trying to be sweet or whatever," he murmurs.

We wait longer, making awkward small talk, and I try to ignore Catos eyes.

"It's us!"

Finch, Annie, Katniss, Marvel and Peeta.

"Well, now that we're all here, let's have fun!"

A/N Ok so I didn't want to make this part super long,so I stopped here