Redemption

Third Person PoV

Clove sighed, tapping her pencil on the large wooden desk in front of her. It was already quarter past twelve, and she hadn't even written a sentence of her history project. The glowing red clock on her nightstand, displayed the numbers in front of her, in a taunting sort of way.

Finally Clove gave up, shoving away her notebook, and standing up from her desk. She grabbed a small black hoodie from her closet, and quietly walked downstairs to the front door. A cool walk in the night air would clear her mind.

She set off down the sidewalk, taking in a deep breath of fresh air. Houses were mostly dark, except for the odd bedroom light, but most people in this quiet town had work or school the next day and were never up very late. It was a boring lifestyle, but Clove grew up in it, and was fine that there were never any big parties or late night shindigs. She enjoyed spending her time alone (when she wasn't doing homework) by taking walks at night, or going to the towns local cafe in the evening for a warm latte and fresh cookie.

Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted, when she slammed into something hard. Confused, she looked up at realized it was not something, but someone. 

The tall blonde boy smirked down at Clove, arms folded across his broad chest.

"What are you doing out so late gorgeous?"

Clove scowled.

"Couldn't think straight. Had to take in some fresh air to clear my brain. Why are you out here? Getting back from the house of your latest hookup?"

This time Cato scowled.

"Shut up. I'm not like that."

"You just don't like admitting that you're a man whore," Clove snapped.

Cato rolled his eyes, scoffing slightly.

"You're not still upset about last year are you?"

"You left me waiting at the front door. For an extra three hours! You just stood me up!"

Cato unfolded his arms, and ran a hand through his spiked hair.

"I'm sorry. Ok? I thought I explained! I wasn't out with another girl or anything, I- I forgot! There was shit going on with my family and I- I'm so sorry ok Clove? Can't you just forgive me?!"

Clove stared down at the ground, the memory of that evening burning into her brain.  The hours of tears after she realized the boy of her dreams was never going to show. Her mother assuring her that it wasn't her fault, and that she didn't need a man. Her dad ready to find the boy that broke his daughters heart and kick him out of the country. But that was over now. Every time she saw Cato in the halls, she looked away, trying to hold back tears, as she watched Cato flirt with new girl after new girl. Eventually, she texted him, asking him why he had left her, and he claimed he totally forgot, because of something about his sister. Naturally, she didn't believe him, and finally forgot about him.

"Whatever Cato. I should get going."

She began to turn around, when suddenly Cato grabbed her hand.

"Stay a little longer...I wanna talk."

"No."

"Clove. Please."

The freckled brunette girl sighed, turning to face Cato once again.

"Fine. What?"

"I wanna..." Cato took a deep breath, already knowing he would be denied, but he had to try. "I wanna know...If you'd like to go out for dinner sometime? Friday night maybe? Before you tell me that I probably haven't changed or anything though, I have a plan. You come to pick me up. I can drive, but then I can't stand you up if you're coming to my house."

Clove thought about it for a moment, and as she stared at the boy in front of her, she began remembering why she fell for him before. His honest and loving, yet at the same time cocky attitude. His dazzling smile, and sparkling blue eyes. The way he very rarely took no for an answer, and was determined as all hell... 

"Fine."

Cato grinned like a little kid in a candy store. He knew he couldn't disappoint her. This would be the best date of her life. He reached out his hand for her to shake, and Clove obliged, a tiny smirk pulling at the corner of her lips.

"I swear Hadley...If this is a prank or something..."

"It's not. Promise. I'll see you then."

Clove stared at Cato, then began to walk back towards her house.

"Hey! Wait!"

She paused as Cato ran up behind her.

"Can I have a goodnight kiss? Y'know...to make up for that other date?"

"You only get it if the date goes well."

Cato hesitated a moment, then nodded.

"Deal?"

"Deal."

"Don't screw up Hadley."