2.

Zuria
1 hour later

Finally getting over to Ms. Gladys's house, I let Mars go in first as she zoomed in.

"Girl, don't you be running in this house." Ms. Gladys fussed as she did anyway and I couldn't help but to laugh.

"Hi, Mama Gladys." I spoke as she pulled me in for a hug.

"Hi, baby. How are you?"

"I'm doing fine." I spoke with a sigh as she closed the door behind us.

"Is that my daughter who never calls me?" I heard my mom's voice, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Mama?" I called as I walked into the living room and she was sitting on the couch with a smile, holding Marley in her lap.

"Hi, honey." She spoke as I came in and sat down beside her.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I leaned in to hug her as Ms. Gladys sat on the opposite couch across from us.

"Well I'm spending time with the only friend I have, now that you don't call me." She exaggerated, making me smile.

"Right. She don't come see us nomore." Ms. Gladys shook her head as Mars got up from my mother's lap and ran over to her.

"Aw, my sweet baby." I watch as her and Ms. Gladys hugged each other tightly.

"Can I watch TV mom mom?" Mars ended up asking and Ms. Gladys nodded before she ran out of the room and made her way to the family room to watch the big screen that was in there.

Once she was gone, the room went silent a while as I picked my brain from all of the thoughts I had in my mind. That didn't last long though because they both began to bombard me with questions.

As usual.

"So where's my crazy son? Working?" Ms. Gladys asked and I nodded slowly, pushing my thoughts to the back of my mind.

"Yeah. He's at the shop right now." I looked down at my hands, mentally preparing myself for their questions.

"And how about you? Did you start working yet?" My mom asked, making me look over to her.

"Well me and Mitch haven't talked about it, things have been pretty hectic."

"Marley is in school now and-"

"She got a mama." Ms. Gladys sassed, cutting me off.

"I know but-"

"So that ain't no reason for you to still not to be working." My mama butted in as they now double teamed me.

Sighing deeply, I sat there trying to keep my composure. It's just been a lot for me these days and I honestly didn't need them grilling them right now.

"Yeah, well Mitch and I haven't had the chance to talk about it. You know how he is about me working." I expressed to them.

Mitch did not want me working at all. He was a firm believer of the man paying all the bills in the household. But I'd told him that wasn't what I wanted and he told me that he understood. So he said he would figure something but we never got around to it, of course.

"Oh so he's still intent on this no working thing?" My mama asked, looking over to Ms. Gladys while she shook her head.

I knew they were judging me, they always did but that was simply because they didn't understand our relationship. Over 10 years in and they still didn't get us.

"Well how about these babies Mitch keeps mentioning every time we're on the phone?" Ms. Gladys went on, questioning me.

"Are y'all trying now?"