62.

Epilogue Next

Mitch
Next day

"Mitch." My mama called as I fell asleep on the couch.

"Mitch." She called again as I sighed deeply, slowly opening my eyes.

"What are you doing here, son?"

"Zuria still not letting you go home?" She asked as I sat up, looking down at my phone before I looked back up at her.

"Yeah." I scoffed, throwing my phone into my lap as I looked over to Marley who slept peacefully beside me.

"What happened to your hand?" She asked referring to all of the bandages since I'd punched the glass door.

"Nothin' ma." I waved it off while she gave me a look.

"I know you didn't put your hands on that girl-"

"Ma." I smacked my lips, looking at her.

"I'm just saying." She sassed.

"So what are you doing? Are you going over there to make it right?" She went onto ask and I turned my lip up.

"Yo, ma." I shook my head, not wanting to hear that shit right now.

"I made it right already, I did what she asked." I spoke sternly to her.

"She just want a nigga to suffer now." I expressed to her while she looked at me.

"Do you blame her though?" She went onto say and I scoffed, looking down.

"Do you really blame her, son?"

"You've hurt her, you've hurt your sister and you've hurt your sister's boyfriend all in the mist of a week."

"She's tired, Mya's tired, we're all tired, Mitch."

"Aight and I understand that, that's why I'm tryna fix it-" I started but she quickly cut me off.

"Paying for something you've caused and saying you're sorry doesn't change things, son." She shook her head, looking at me.

"Yes, it was very generous of you to pay for Hayes's physical therapy but let's be real here, okay? It didn't hurt you."

"You're still going to eat tomorrow, Marley is still going to be spoiled rotten and get whatever she wants, you're still going to live in a nice big house but Hayes now has to go through therapy to help him walk again." She spoke sternly.

"He has to relearn everything's he's already known because of something that shouldn't have never happened in the first place, Mitchell."

"And I get that, mama." I spoke up.

"Y'all just assuming I don't because that's what y'all want to think about a nigga. It's what y'all been thinkin' about a nigga."

"No. We just know you don't get it son because if you did, you would understand why Zuria is doing what she's doing. She knows just like everyone else does that this is really the only way to get to you."

"Keeping you away from something you really want is the only way to get you to understand to get you to actually want to listen." She went on explaining and I simply nodded, saying nothing else.

"You just need to show some type of empathy for the man. That's all she's asking, honey."

"That's all we're asking."

"Aight."

"You right, mama." Was all I said as I stood to my feet.

"I'm right?" She asked as I looked down at Marley who still remained.