27.

Zuria
1 hour later

Sitting quietly in the car outside of Retta's apartment building, my sore body ached as Mitch smoked his blunt, feeling the car with smoke. We hadn't said a word to each other since we'd finished making up but I feel we both knew what needed to be done.

"I love you more, Zuria." He finally spoke up, responding back to what I'd said to him.

"You love me?" I asked quietly, looking down at my hands.

"Yes."

"I love you." He spoke seriously and I nodded slow, taking in his words.

"And I know you love me." He went on, making me look over to him.

"But you scared because of what I put you through when we was younger, ma." He licked his lips, running his fingers through his beard.

I nodded my head slowly, looking straight ahead as we both sat there thinking. He was right, I was scared and I just didn't want to be hurt again. I wanted to forgive and I wanted to forget but I needed to know it wouldn't happen again.

I needed to feel safe.

"Listen.." He started.

"I fuck up, Z."

"I know I do but I'm only human." He began to explain.

"I want to right my wrongs, baby."

"Yeah it's been five months and I'm still mad as shit but ma, I can't never give up on you." He went on as I listened closely to his words.

"I can't never give up on us."

"But you did, Mitch." I looked over to him.

"You left because shit got hard and people were talking so you dropped everything. Our whole life together."

"I didn't give up on you though, I had to leave."

"Why, Mitch?" I asked, needing to know.

"Why did you have to leave?" I asked, needing to know.

"You saw what the fuck I did to you, Zuria." He spat while I sat there listening.

"And I wasn't tryn' got there with you again. I was mad and I knew I had to go or shit was gon' get ugly between us. Shit had already got ugly between us." He went on, explaining hisself.

"And I know I did some lame ass shit and sold the old crib on you but I ain't really expect you to stay there, I ain't know you was gon' try and really make that shit work."

"You didn't care to ask either." I spoke softly and he nodded.

"You're right. I didn't." He took his wrong doing on the chin.

"I was just tryn' hurt you because of what we was gon' through and I was mad. I can admit that." He admitted and I nodded slowly.

"But I never meant for you to have no where to go and have no money. I would never do no shit like that on purpose."

"So where did you think I was going to go after you sold the house, Mitch?" I asked softly.

"Like seriously.."

"You gave me five thousand dollars and then left me in a 10 million dollar house. Alone."

"What did you think would happen?" I asked, looking at him.

"I know, ma. I wasn't thinkin'."

"I was just doing shit that I knew would hurt you but I didn't think about the repercussions." He went on, making me shake my head.