Understand You

Eric walked through the halls of the school, exhausted.  Hela looked at the boy with a concerned look.

"Tough night?" She asked him. He nodded.

"Yeah. Something is bugging me about Jason. I think he might know Mr. Andrews more than normal. Last week, they were arguing about something." Eric said, opening the door to the cafeteria. Hela gave him a weird look.

"But why does that matter?" She asked.

"I don't know. I want to understand him. Hes an interesting character." Eric said. Hela sighed.

"I know you like fixing and understanding people but he may not want that. You see how scary he looks?" Hela told him. Eric nodded.

"I guess. I feel like hes misunderstood. We all are at point." He said, getting his food and walking over to the table.

"Oh! Are you trying out for volleyball again? Our star player returns?!" She said, getting her food as well.

"Yes I am. Volleyball is in my blood, Hela. You know that!" Eric exclaimed.

"When are try outs?"

"After school today. I wonder if were gonna get any new players." Eric said, biting into an apple. Hela got quiet and looked up. Eric tilted his head and turned to see Jason standing above him.

"Can I help you?" Eric said, kinda standoffish.

"The sport tryouts. Where do you sign up at?" Jason asked.

"Uh well they are normally fliers around the school. Just put your name on it and come to the tryouts after school in the gym." Eric explained. Jason nodded.

"Thanks." Is all Jason said before walking off. Hela gave Eric a weird look.

"You don't think hes gonna try out? He'd murder people just for looking at him wrong." She stated.

"It all depends on what the captain says, which is me." Eric pointed out. The bell rang for everyone to get ready for classes.

"Alright class! Today were going to do a little activity. I couldn't be able to do this before so let's try it out today!" The teacher said, chirpy in the morning. Everyone in the class groan.

"Write a fact about yourself and everyone will have to guess who it belongs to. You will have to ball them up and someone will come up to the front and read aloud."

Eric thought of his fact and he written it down and balled it up. He wasn't paying attention when he bumped into Jason going back to his seat.

"Sorry man." Jason whispered and walked around him. Eric went back to his seat. 'He is weird. One minute he acts tough and bad and then hes apologetic. What's with this guy?' He thought to himself.

After everyone finished, the teacher shook them up and called on a student. It went along like this for a little while.

"Jason, come up here and pick a fact!" The teacher said. Jason got up and went to the front of the class and pulled a fact.

"My parents work for the big pharm." Jason read aloud. Eric rose his hand.

"They've been doing it for years and are constantly on trips." Eric explained.

"That's quite exciting! Thank you Jason for reading." She said as Jason walked back to his seat. It went like that for a little bit longer.

"I am from South Dakota." A student read the fact. Everyone looked around, trying to find out who it was. Jason raised his hand.