Sleepless in New York

Requested by mykennaknox

Summary: As much as he wants to, Alexander can't forget the past. What happens when he starts having nightmares about the past and his fears. What happens when there's more to it than Washington thought?

TW: Mention of self hate. Nothing too bad, but just a heads up.

Alexander!

Alexander!

Alexander heard a voice calling for him. A voice that he knew.

Dad? Dad! Where are you?

Alexander?

Alex began to follow that voice. It grew louder and louder each passing moment.

Dad-

He froze in horror. He found him father, but he wish he hadn't. Washington laid on the ground right in front of him; His throat slit.

N-no...NO! Dad...DAD!

He's gone, Alexander!

In a quick motion, Alex turned around and gasped. It had to be a dream. It felt so unreal. There stood someone he hoped he'd never see again.

ADAMS?! I-I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!

Looks like you thought wrong, kid.

Why?! Why did you do this?

Tears rolled down the petit teen's face.

Oh, don't cry, Alexander. You'll be joining him...RIGHT NOW!

He slashed his knife across the boy's face. Alexander only saw a white light flash.

~~~~~~~~

"Gahhh!" Alexander shot up from his slumber. Panting, shaking and sweating from what had occurred. It took a few moments to compose himself.

"Calm down, Alex." He spoke to himself. "It was just a nightmare." He slowly got up from his bed and looked at the time. It read, 2:45. Alex tip toed slowly to his door and began to open it.

Creak!

He froze in alarm. It always sounds louder at night. Pushing away his hesitation, he opened his door all the way and walked down the hall to his parents room. He slowly cracked open the door and took a peak. Both Martha and George slept peacefully. This caused Alexander to sigh in relief. He silently slipped into the room and stopped in front of his father. Washington's light snores were very soothing. Everything about this man seemed to put the teen at ease. He took a step forward. Alex proceeded to bend down and carefully wrapped his arms around his father.

"I'm sorry..." He whispered. "I'm really trying, dad" He let go, making sure not to wake Washington since it was almost 3 am on a Saturday. He then tip toed to the other side on the bed where his mother laid. Alex smiled at the woman before placing a gentle kiss on her cheek. "But I'll keep trying, mom." He quickly stepped out the room, closing the door behind him.

After he made his way back to his room, he decided he wasn't going back to sleep. He opened the window to his balcony and gazed up at the sky.

"I'm a mess. Obviously all I've done was lie and make people miserable-" He suddenly had a bad feeling in his stomach. "What's going on now?" He looked up at the house roof. Without second thought, he began to climb the building until he was sitting on the very top of the roof. The feeling only grew. "What is wrong with me? Why do I feel this way?" He stayed that way the whole time. He even got to watch the sunrise. No regrets. The beautiful pink and orange danced across the sky as the yellow sun shone. It truly was incredible...