A Father Should Be...

Summary: There's always that one day everyone wants to forget. For Alexander it's January 21st. Why?

Alexander woke up and immediately felt numb. Not his typical Wednesday. The thing was it wasn't a normal day for him. With everything going on, this should be the least of his worries. That didn't stop him. He finally got out of bed and got dressed. He put on some black jeans, some random shirt and a black sweater. He didn't bother brushing his hair. He want through his drawer and found...

...his green ribbon. The one that his mother used to wear in her hair. The last thing he had of her. He went to grab it, but a force stopped him. Should I wear it on a day like this? He came to the conclusion of wearing the ribbon would be a bad idea. He quickly closed his drawer and grabbed his backpack before heading downstairs.

*Meanwhile*

Martha was in the kitchen making breakfast. Washington entered the room smiled at his wife.

"Good morning, love." He kissed her cheek.

"Good morning."

"What's on the agenda today, beautiful?"

"Well, I've got to decide on a color and paint the nursery for the Ramos family. How about you?"

"Classes are starting a new book. We're reading 'A Midsummer's Night Dream.' It's actually one of my favorites." Alex then walked into the kitchen. Martha and George were both worried once they saw their son. He looked stressed, his hair was a mess and wore all black.

"Uh, good morning, Alexander." Martha greeted.

"Good morning, Martha." Now THAT really surprised them. It had been months since Alex had called them anything other than 'mom' or 'dad.' The only time Alex would call Washington by his last name was during his class. There had to be something going on.

"Um, sweetie wouldn't you like to eat?"

"No, thanks. I'm fine. Also, I'm walking to school today. Bye." He picked up his backpack and headed out of the door. Washington shared a look with his wife.

"Am I the only one who found that weird?" He asked.

"No, I did too."

*Time skip brought to you by a weird situation*

It only got worse throughout the day. He completely avoided his friends. Ignoring texts and sitting far away in class. They all caught on. Alexander was now all by himself out side for free period. He was writing something in his note book. It was so quiet. He'd never liked the quiet before. He looked at the time and had realized free period was almost over. He picked up his things and shoved them in his bag when he dropped his pen. He got up to grab it and...

"Ouch!" He got scratched by a thorny plant when he reached for it. It ripped through his sweater left a small gash. A small amount of blood was visible, so it wasn't too bad. The pain from the thorn made him feel something. Was it...JOY? Did I enjoy that pain? No! Snap out of it Alex! He then quickly grabbed everything and ran back into the school

*Meanwhile*

"I promise, I'm going to figure this out. There may be a reason why he's acting the way he is. He didn't want a ride, he called you Martha and he's not wearing his green ribbon. Okay, talk to you soon. Bye love." Washington hug up his call and sighed. Something was wrong with his boy and he needed to know. None of his friends knew anything. His Alexander was keeping away from everyone. "I hope you tell me, son."

*Time skip brought to you by an odd Alexander*

He did it again. He decided to walk home this time, but...he didn't tell Washington. It just happened. He didn't think to call or to even text. Once he came in the door, Martha noticed he was alone. She quickly pulled out her phone and texted Washington that he was okay. The man nearly had a heart attack worrying over him. Within about 10 minutes, the front door opened. In walked a stressed Washington.

"He's in the living room, love." Martha gave a heads up which earned a nod. Washington made his way to the living to see an annoyed Alexander.

"Son, do you have any idea how worried I was?" He spoke. "I was at the school waiting for you for almost an hour. You didn't think to call or text?"

"Maybe I didn't want to talk to you." Alex replied.

"Alex, there's a killer out there who wants you dead and I don't want you walking by yourself. That could be dangerous!"

"I don't care!"

"How could you not care?!"

"Why do you care?!"

"Because it's what fathers do!"

"Your NOT my dad!" Ouch! That shot Washington right into his heart. No! There's something wrong. Stay tough!

"The adoption papers say otherwise, Alexander." Washington sounded a bit stern.

"I DON'T GIVE A FUCK! MY REAL FATHER IS A MURDER! DON'T MESS WITH ME RIGHT NOW!" Alex threw his hands over his mouth. He regretted the words that came out. "I'm sorry..." He then retreated to his room. Washington was about to follow him, but decided it would be best to give him some space.

*Time skip brought to you by arguments*

Alex was crying into his pillow. He couldn't believe it. After everything they've done for him, he was such an ass. He was moody over something that happened five years ago. He just argued with Washington and said he wasn't his dad. He was! 100%! Blood or not!

Knock!

Knock!

Knock!

"Come it..." Washington entered Alex's room.

"Son, what's gotten into you?"

"I'm sorry. I'm taking all my anger out on you today. Today was the day my mother and brother were killed in front of my eyes."

"That's what this is is all about?"

"Yeah, I just like to be alone on that day it makes me feel better. It gives me time to heal." Washington pushed a strand of hair out of his face. "But because of me, we had our first fight."

"That's okay, Alex. We will have more disagreements in the future, it's normal. If you need to let it all out then it's okay." Alex wiped a tear away. "You're going through struggles that teen shouldn't have to. Some little fight isn't going to change the way I feel about you. You are my son and I love you." He hugged his Alex close, who stayed silent and treasured this sweet moment. People are lucky to have father's who love them. What I have is a Washingdad. He goes the extra mile for me. James is a lowlife while Washington is the definition of what a father should be.

I wrote this at almost 2 am! Ahhhhhhh! I need a break. So good night and I hope you enjoy. Byyyyyyyyye!