A Day With Mary Laurens

Summary: John decides to spend a day with his little sister, Mary who is currently fighting Leukemia. What happens when he finds out her condition is worsening?

"Excuse me ma'am, but where room is room A117?" John stood in front of the front desk in the hospital. The lady behind the desk was typing on a computer. She stopped when she heard Laurens speak.

"Right down that hall." She pointed.

"Thank you!" John dashed down the hall. He was so excited to see her again. His little sister that is. She had been in the hospital for almost two months. He missed her so much. The doctor gave him the okay to take her out for the day. Just him and little Mary! Once he finally found her room, he knocked on the door.

"Come in!" John opened the door and-

"Mimi!"

"Jackie!" He ran over to her bedside and wrapped her in a tight hug.

"I missed you little one!"

"I missed you too! How are you and your girlfriend?" She asked as they let go.

"We're doing great! Peggy really misses you too. How's chemotherapy?" Mary's eyes darkened at the mention of her treatment.

"It's the hardest thing I've ever done. Being away from you, mom and dad just to get pumped with medicine isn't how I planned to spend the summer and I was really looking forward to third grade."

"I'm sorry sis. I know you love to go to school." John comforted her. "That's why I'm taking you somewhere special!" Mary's eyes lit up like a thousand fireflies.

"Where are you taking me?" She asked with excitement. John chuckled at the eight year old as he helped her out of bed.

"It's a surprise, Mary. C'mon, mom signed you out for me." He grabbed onto the girl's hand. "Let's go on a brother-sister date! Just you and me."

"Yay!"

*Time skip brought to you by John the big brother*

"But John, it's almost summer! Why do I have to wear this sweater?" John and Mary walked hand in hand down the sidewalk. They were on their way to John's surprise. Mary was very excited, but had one problem. John was making her wear a sweater in mid May.

"The doctor doesn't want to risk you getting too cold. If you do, you could get sick."

"I won't get sick."

"I know Mary, but it's for your own good. I'm only doing this because I care, okay?"

"Okay big brother!" Mary cheered with the biggest smile.

"Good girl." He pat her on the head. "Now, are you ready for your surprise?"

"Yes, yes, yes!"

"Okay! Here we are!" Mary looked up at the building that stood before them and gasped.

"Wow!"

"I know you love art and school so I figured a pottery class would be the perfect place to take you!"

"You know me so well! Thank you John!"

"Let's go in! Shall we?" John opened the door and held it for Mary to enter. The girl giggled as she entered, her brother close behind. It was a cute little place. There were tea cups, tea pots, plates, bowls, and small vases and status. A sweet lady with curly hair then appeared.

"Hello there! I'm Miss Jones and welcome to my pottery class." She stopped and smiled at Mary before getting down to her level. "You must be little Mary. It's lovely to meet you."