A Place To Call Home

Summary: Lafayette and Thomas get a letter from Thomas's father who is in France. What happens when it makes Lafayette feel homesick?

A short oneshot with Washingdad fluff!

"Let's go boys! You don't wanna be late to school!" Lafayette and Thomas ran down the stairs with their bookbags on.

"Coming mom!" Thomas called. They made their way to the front door to meet up with two women. They were sisters. The older one named Jane was Thomas's mother while the younger named Marie was Lafayette's mother.

"Theses are for you!" Marie spoke with a thick French accent. She handed her son and nephew an envelope. "Now off you go."

" Au revoir Tante Marie!" Thomas said.

"Au revoir maman." Lafayette spoke. The boys followed Jane to the car. Once they got on the road, Thomas looked at the envelope in his hand. As soon as he saw who it was from, he gasped in excitement.

"It's from dad!" He exclaimed, holding the envelope to his chest. Jane smiled at her son's excitement.

"You should open them." She suggested to the two teens. That's when the boys ripped their envelopes open. Lafayette looked over at Thomas to see him already reading his letter. His eyes soon found their way to the letter in his own hands.

Dearest Gilbert,

It's been quite some time since we've spoken. I'm having a wonderful time in France. You were right about how beautiful it is. I just want you to know I miss you and I will be visiting you and Thomas this summer. I can't wait to see how much my little nephew has grown. I can't wait to see you again

-Uncle Peter

His uncle had also sent him some pictures. One was of Peter posing by the Eiffel Tower and the other was of him with a woman at a cafe. Looking at those pictures made Laf feel...sad? Why is that?

"Okay boys, have a great day." Jane unlocked the car doors.

"Bye mom!" Thomas hugged her goodbye before bolting out the car.

"Bye Tante Jane." Laf also hugged her goodbye before exiting the car. Just as he stepped in front of the school sign, another care pulled up. Washington's car. After a few moments, Alexander emerged, making Thomas smile.

"Hey darling." He greeted him with a kiss.

"Hi babe." Alex greeted back. "What's that?" He pointed to the envelope in the taller boy's hand.

"A letter from my father. He's all the way in France."

"Really? How come?"

"Well, my are parents divorced. So my mom and I moved from Virginia to New York to live with my aunt and Laf."

"Oh, makes sense."

"Hey guys!" John, Hercules and Maria made their way over to the trio. "What's happening?" John asked.

"W-well, I um have some news." Alex stuttered. They all turn their attention to him. "I'm starting therapy today after school." Thomas smiled and kissed one of Alex's hands.

"That's great, Alex!" Herc encouraged. The whole friend group had found out about Alexander becoming a self harmer from Eliza. "It's a good thing you're getting the help you need." He continued as he grabbed Laf's hand.

"Yeah..." Laf wasn't really paying attention to what was going on. He just couldn't stop thinking about France and how he longed to be back home with his family.

"Laf? Are you okay, love?" Herc seemed to notice his boyfriend's odd behavior.

"What's up guys!" Peggy shouted as the Schuyler sister's arrived along with Church.

"Alex is starting therapy today and something is up with Laf." John caught the others up.

"First off, good to hear Alex!" Angelica started. "Second, what's the matter Laf?"

"I got a letter from Uncle Peter today. He also sent pictures and looking at those just made me miss home." Lafayette admit, frowning lightly. "I haven't been there since I was eleven."

"Awww! Feeling a little homesick, babe?" Herc tried to sooth.

"Yeah...I just don't want to talk about it." Laf then left his friends and went inside the school.

*Time skip brought to you by poor french fry*

Laf sat in the English classroom alone for about five minutes. He was at his desk staring at the picture of his uncle posing by the Eiffel Tower. He missed everything about France from the sights to the family he had. He and his mother moved to America after his father passed away. He missed him as well.

"Lafayette?" Laf looked up to see Washington entering the room. "What are you doing here alone?"

"I just needed to be alone." Laf responded.

"How come?"

"I got a letter from my uncle...who lives in France. I miss France...so much."

"I see." Washington put his stuff down at his desk before sitting by Laf who avoided eye contact. "What do you miss about France?"

"Everything. I miss my old house and the places I used to go. I even miss...my papa..." He then looked Washington dead in the eyes. They usually sparkled with life and love, but this time they looked like dull orbs. "I moved to America after he passed." Washington gave him a smile of sympathy.

"I know how it feels." He admitted to the teen. "I remember when I left Virginia. What was supposed to be a vacation to New York ended up in staying and starting a new life. I ended up going to highschool here and fell in love. Even so, I miss my old home everyday. Do you know what keeps me going?" Laf shook his head in confusion. "I look at the friends and family I'm surrounded with now."

"Does that work?"

"It helps me see how it was a good thing everyday. If I would have stood things wouldn't have turned out the way they did. I would have never met my wife or adopted Alexander. I wouldn't have met you and my other students. I'm grateful I got to meet you. You're a great person."

"I guess I am pretty how do you say...incredible." Laf joked. Washington chuckled. "If I never left France...I never would've met my friends or my boyfriend. I wouldn't be living with Thomas either." Laf smiled. He loved living with his cousin. Everyday felt like an adventure with him. The two had gotten closer than ever living together. "I'm pretty...lucky!"

"And if you ever need to talk to anyone, I'm here." Washington added. Laf smiled.

"Thank you sir." The classroom door opened up. Alex, Thomas and Herc busted in the door.

"There you are!" Thomas sighed in relief. "We were looking for you. Are you okay." Laf ran right into his cousin's arms.

"I'm great...because I have you and my friends."

French fry is getting the love he deserves! Awww! Washingdad gave him fatherly advice! So cute! He's like a dad to all. Thank you guys so much for reading. Have a good day/night!