ELEVEN

Jeongguk thought he would need two hours until the food would be ready but with Taehyung's unexpected help they'll finish a lot earlier.

The two aren't talking, both completely immensed in their work, just the music and Taehyung's cussing when the oil in the pan splashes him, can be heard. "Do you want to change back?", Jeongguk asks worriedly. 

The two changed their positions since Taehyung complained he isn't really good at washing the salad, so he wanted to look after the meat. 

Obviously, he didn't count in that the oil's very hot and will splash onto his skin. "No, I can do it. No problem.", the elder refuses with gritted teeth.

Jeongguk tries to hold back his laughter, he knows very well how this hot oil can hurt, but it's kinda funny to see the other struggling and not wanting to admit it.

"I'm gonna set the table. The meat's probably ready in a few.", Jeongguk explains while getting the plates. He places everything on the table and turns around to look at the meat.

"Yup, it's ready. You can sit down.", he says while placing the pan on the table. He brings the rest and then they start to eat together.

Jeongguk glances at Taehyung. He's surprised by the elder's behavior. Sure, they ate together the last days but something's different today.

Normally Taehyung wouldn't start a conversation, he mostly sits there and just answers the questions Jeongguk asks him. And he would have that emotionless face on, the entire time.

But today he is different. He even smiled a little and he himself was the one asking if he could help, not Jeongguk. Maybe they would understand each other better than expected.

But Jeongguk also knows that Taehyung's unpredictable. He doesn't know the elder for long but what he does know is that Taehyung is like a ticking bomb.

One wrong word and he gets angry as hell. Jeongguk just has to think about what happened last time and he knows that he doesn't want to overstep his limits.

He would go slow and only when they know each other better, he'll start to try bringing father and son together. He knows that this would probably mean that they don't need him anymore but firstly, Taehyung still has to work, so he'll need someone to look after the baby and secondly he won't be selfish.

It's more important that this boy has a father and that Taehyung gets happier, and he will when he lets himself love his son. And that's what matters to Jeongguk.

He'd never put himself above the two. It would be so wrong to not try to bring them together, just because he could possibly lose his job. That can't be right.

Completely lost in his thoughts, the younger doesn't hear Taehyung calling his name, trying to get his attention.

"Jeongguk? Are you alright?" The elder waves his hand in front of Jeongguk's face in order to get him out of his trance.

Jeongguk flinches, not having realized he was zoning out. "Sorry, I was lost in my thoughts", he mumbles excusingly, "What did you say?"

"I said that it's delicious. We did a good job." Taehyung says, looking quite content. "Yeah, that's true." Jeongguk agrees, flashing the other a toothy smile.

And to the younger's surprise, Taehyung also lifts the corner of his mouth to a small smile, that makes Jeongguk's even wider. They look in each other's eyes, Jeongguk getting lost in Taehyung's brown eyes.

At the same time, both men seem to realize what they're doing and break the eye contact, both looking down with a slight blush creeping up their cheeks.

Jeongguk shakes his head. He doesn't know what's happening.. no.. he knows exactly what's happening but it cannot be true. He can't just fall for a man that he knows for how long? Nearly two weeks?

And that man's lost his girlfriend just a month ago. Jeongguk isn't really hungry anymore, he suddenly feels a little bit dizzy. 'Get yourself together', he tells himself.

"I have to go to the toilet." He says while standing up already and making his way to the toilet, not waiting for an answer from the other.

He locks the door behind himself and hurries to the sink where he splashes his face with cold water.

He looks at himself in the mirror. A pale face looks back at him. Suddenly, he needs all his strength to hold back his tears. He doesn't want to cry.

It's been so long, everybody's telling him to move on. To try again, to let someone in again. And he wants to, he really does. But apparently, Jeongguk isn't allowed to be happy.

He knows that one can't fall in love in this short time but he's on the best way to it. And he knows that he'll get hurt again.

Taehyung has to get back in his life again, that's hard enough. He doesn't need someone in his life who falls in love with him, it's way to early for that and Jeongguk's aware of it.

He has to keep his distance, it's clear as day that Taehyung isn't ready for someone new which is completely normal. And that's why Jeongguk should control his action and above all, not let his hopes up just because the other smiles at him.

He would just control himself better and try to not fall harder. Maybe he can still prevent it.

Satisfied with his decision, he drys his face and walks back in the kitchen.

Taehyung looks at him questioningly, probably confused about his sudden disappearance.

Jeongguk ignores it and finishes the rest of his food, avoiding to look at the other.

It's for the best, he reminds himself.