NINETEEN

"Taehyung?", Jeongguk whispers softly, causing the elder to flinch. Taehyung turns around to look at Jeongguk, a startled expression on his face.

"I wanted to help you a bit. You're sick and you shouldn't have to do everything by yourself. I- I tried to calm him but he still squirms around.", Taehyung explains, baffling Jeongguk all over again.

Taehyung wants to help him and even calmed down Chansol.

He couldn't even be in the same room as the little boy and now he calms him. He touches him willingly. Jeongguk can't believe it.

Despite his headache, Jeongguk feels euphoric. For other people it may seem like it's no big deal but to him, it's such a big step.

"I could prepare the milk so that you don't have to do that. You just have to tell me how it works.", Taehyung speaks up again.

Jeongguk has to fight the urge to shake his head. It feels like he's dreaming. Is Taehyung really standing here and helping him with Chansol?

It seems so unreal to Jeongguk.

"Uhm on the backside of the package it's explained how you do it. Just follow the steps.", Jeongguk mumbles, still a bit  taken aback. It's too much to take in for him.

He's pulled out of his thoughts when Chansol starts to cry again. Jeongguk quickly hurries over to the crib and takes the baby in his arms.

He knows it's maybe not the best idea because he's still sick but the boy needs physical contact. He can't force Taehyung to hold him when he just started approach his son a bit.

"Shh honey, it's alright I'm here", Jeongguk whispers soothingly to the boy in his arms, swaying him softly.

He starts to hum a calming melody as he waits for Taehyung to come back with the milk.

Chansol stopped his crying and looks now at Jeongguk with his big brown eyes.

Jeongguk gives Chansol his pinky and the boy immediately wraps his small hand around the finger.

It's a habit of Chansol and Jeongguk absolutely adores it. The baby is just the cutest and loveliest thing in the world.

Jeongguk is so immersed in his thoughts that he didn't even hear Taehyung walking up the stairs. Only when the male enters Chansol's room, Jeongguk looks up at him.

Taehyung sends him a crooked smile as he give Jeongguk the bottle with milk. "I hope I did it right."

Jeongguk smiles back at him. "I'm sure you did well. It's the perfect temperature.", he assures, making Taehyung seemingly relax.

Jeongguk's heart swells at how Taehyung wants to make everything right.

He still wonders where all this is coming from though.

Jeongguk begins to feed Chansol who starts to drink eagerly. Taehyung stands beside them, watching with an unreadable expression.

Jeongguk can't tell what the elder's thinking. The younger just hopes that Taehyung doesn't change his mind suddenly and starts to be mad at the baby again.

Jeongguk thinks that maybe, Taehyung starts to accept his son. He doesn't expect too much from him, it's already such a big step that Taehyung willingly soothed him.

That's more than enough for the start.

Chansol finishes his bottle pretty fast and his burp follows soon after. 

Jeongguk sways the boy softly again to make him sleepy. In the corner of his eye he sees Taehyung still staring at the baby.

Suddenly an idea pops into his mind. He moves closer to Taehyung and softly whispers, "Give me your hand."

Taehyung looks at the other with a confused expression. Jeongguk extends one of his hands, taking Taehyung's in his.

The younger guides Taehyung's hand to Chansol. "And now give him your finger."

A bit hesitant, Taehyung does as he's told and gives Chansol his index finger. The boy grabs onto it almost immediately, holding it tight.

And for the first time today Jeongguk sees a change in Taehyung's eyes. Taehyung looks at his son with a gaze full of love. Jeongguk can also see fear and uncertainty but there's also love.

The love that Taehyung kept hidden deep inside himself, buried under his pain and sadness. And now, the first real contact with his son brings it up.

"He's beautiful.", Taehyung whispers as he stares at his son with so much fondness, "So so beautiful."

Taehyung takes his other hand and softly caresses his face. He strokes over the baby's forehead, cheeks and nose.

Chansol looks at Taehyung's face with his big doe eyes, studying every feature of his dad.

Jeongguk smiles softly at the interaction between the dad and his son. And he's happy, absolutely and completely happy.

Jeongguk forgets about his headache and runny nose, he only focuses on the lovely scene in front of him.

He can see how Chansol seems to get tired again, his eyes falling shut all over again, just for him to open them only seconds later.

Eventually, the boy seems to lose the fight against his tiredness and drifts into dreamland, belly full and finally content.

Jeongguk lays the boy back into his crib, covering him with the blanket.

They both leave the room and close the door behind themselves. Jeongguk decides not to speak about what had happened only seconds earlier.

He wouldn't force Taehyung to speak with him about it, if the older wants to, they'll talk but if not Jeongguk won't say a thing. Jeongguk can't imagine how Taehyung's feeling right now.

Taehyung gets him out of his thoughts as he suddenly speaks up. "How do you feel? Should I make you something like tea?"

Jeongguk is quick to shake his head. "No, thank you, it's alright."

Taehyung nods absently, nibbling on his bottom lip. Only now Jeongguk notices that Taehyung's hands are shaking.

"Are you alright, Tae?", Jeongguk asks, worry evident in his voice. "Do you want to sit down?"

Taehyung shakes his head, looking at Jeongguk with an unsure expression. "It's just a bit overwhelming, you know.", Taehyung mumbles with a shaky voice.

Just as Jeongguk wants to speak up again, Taehyung continues, "It's probably a bit weird and you don't need to but can- can I hug you? Please? I think I need it right now."

Jeongguk doesn't hesitate a second to hug Taehyung. The elder burries his face in the crook of Jeongguk's neck, holding onto the younger tightly.

They stand there, seconds or minutes, Jeongguk doesn't know for how long. Only their breathing can be heard in the quiet floor.

Jeongguk can feel his heart beat hard against his chest, so loudly that he's scared Taehyung's able to hear it.

Hugging Taehyung feels so good. Jeongguk feels safe and happy. He likes the other just so much. So much that he would be ready to be with him.

But he knows that he has to give lots of time to Taehyung, he has to wait until the other's ready to move on from the death of his girlfriend. And he would never force him.

Jeongguk feels Taehyung move and they both pull back. "Thank you.", Taehyung whispers with honesty, "Thank you so much. For everything. You're a beautiful person, Jeongguk in and out."

Jeongguk smiles at the compliment and feels his cheeks getting hot. He probably looks like a tomato. But for once, he doesn't care.

This whole night is weird and unusual, so he decides to worry about such things. "Goodnight, Jeongguk, sleep well and thank you again.", Taehyung says as he opens the door to his room.

"Goodnight Taehyung. And thank you for helping me."

Taehyung smiles at him, brightly, brighter than Jeongguk has ever seen him smiling. And it makes the younger happy, so so happy.