Chapter 1

"You want me to what?" I asked as calmly as I could, though shock still laced my words. Leader-sama may see me as a little sister, but I am still a member of the Akatsuki, and I fear him. I wouldn't want him to think that I plan on disobeying orders. It never goes well for me when I do.

"You will infiltrate the Leaf village and gain information about the Nine-Tails, which you will report back to us." Pain replied expressionlessly. I blinked slowly at him for several moments, taking in the words that he said.

"Not to question your authority or anything, but why me? You've never sent me on a mission before." I questioned with my eyes narrowed. Usually, I don't argue with Pain. It doesn't end well, but this is a special case. I don't want to infiltrate a village. I like living here. I've lived with the Akatsuki for my whole life, and they are my family. Pain sighed, indicating that he's losing patience with me.

"You are the only one who can." He said irritably. I raised my eyebrow at this. Surely that's not true. I mean come on. This is an organization of S-ranked criminals. Surely a 12 year old who is barely trained isn't the only person who can infiltrate a village. That's just plain sad.

"Why not send Itachi to spy, or Zetsu? They're much more capable than me. Or have you forgotten that I'm 12?" I argued sarcastically. Pain's purple eyes narrowed at me, telling me to shut up and listen to him before he actually kills me. So I did. I enjoy my life. Wouldn't want to end it now. Again, Pain is pretty scary.

"Do not argue with me, Kaori." He said sternly. I felt a pang of fear course through me, and I nodded quickly and kept my mouth shut. Angering Pain never works out well for me. He tolerates more from me than the others, but I still know better than to talk back. "You are the only one who can live in the village without suspicion." I raised my eyebrow again in confusion, but didn't say anything. "Your brother lives there." My eyes widened in shock, and my body tensed up. What? What did he say?

"I have a brother?" I said skeptically. Why had I never heard of this brother before?

"Yes. He's your half brother. You share a father." I nodded. I never knew my father, so it is definitely plausible, although it's still kind of shocking news. "Your mother didn't want you to know about them because they don't know about you. His name is Kakashi Hatake." Pain explained.

"The Copy Ninja?" I asked again in a confused tone. He's my brother? I remember seeing his name in the bingo book I stole from Itachi once. Pain nodded. "And what makes you think they'll allow me to live in the village? He doesn't know who I am."

"Once Kakashi knows you exist, they won't have a choice. You are his last family member." I nodded, beginning to take this seriously. I've never been on a mission before, and this honestly seems like a huge task. Plus, I apparently have family I didn't know about.

"So my father is dead?" I questioned. Pain nodded in return. I shrugged and tried to keep the disappointment I felt off of my face. I always hoped to meet my father, but I guess I could settle for an older brother. At least I know I'm not alone now. "How long will I be gone?"

"Until I say otherwise." Pain commanded. I gulped but nodded to show that I agreed to it. "Your story is that your mother died recently and left you a letter that explained your lineage, which is how you found out about Kakashi." He explained. It's not far from the truth. My mom is dead. She died when I was two though, not recently, and she did leave me a letter, but it did not tell me about Kakashi being my brother. It told me about my kekkei genkai, the shuhogan.

"And if they ask for this so called letter?" I questioned skeptically. Although I'm for it if I get to meet this Kakashi person, I'm pretty wary of this plan. How is a 12 year old supposed to infiltrate a village? Won't they be suspicious of me just kind of showing up randomly one day?