Chapter 45

"Jiraiya-boy has fallen in battle." A small, very old toad said solemnly. My eyes widened. What? But he's a legendary sannin. I glanced at Naruto worriedly. He's not going to take this well.

"Wh-What are you taking about?" Naruto stuttered. I gave him a sad smile. Jiraiya may not have liked me, but he was like a father figure to Naruto. The pain he's experiencing must be incredible. Unfortunately, I know it all too well. The old frog dude then explained that Jiraiya died while fighting Pain. My eyes went wide, and all eyes seemed to be on me, expecting me to have some prolific knowledge about him. But I don't. All I know is that he's terrifying.

"Jiraiya-boy called him Nagato. That is Pain's real name. He was Jiraiya-boy's student." The frog said. I raised an eyebrow.

"Kaori, did you know about that?" Tsunade asked. I shook my head.

"I only ever knew him as Pain. We didn't exactly talk about things like that." I said sadly and looked down. Tsunade nodded, telling me that I gave her enough information. The frog then went on to explain that Pain has the rinnegan. That's what his purple eyes that always scared me are. They're apparently better than any other dojutsu. And apparently there are six Pains.

"Wait. You mean to tell me that there are six of them?!" I yelled. Everyone looked at me curiously.

"You didn't know that?" Kakashi asked. I shook my head.

"If I did, I definitely would have mentioned it during my interrogation. He only ever had one at the hideout. And all of them had this rinnegan thing?" The old frog dude nodded. My eyes furrowed together in frustration. How could I know so little about him? I lived with him for 12 fucking years. I feel like I didn't know him at all. If I had, maybe Jiraiya would have lived.

"How is that possible?" Kakashi asked, clearly dumbfounded like I am.

"I do not know. I imagine that only Jiraiya-boy knew. He left a message to be decoded before he died." The frog said and removed his robe, revealing a series of numbers etched into his skin. I raised an eyebrow. How are we supposed to figure out what that means?

"I wonder what Jiraiya wanted to say. Kaori, Sakura, I want you two on this with the decipher division, as well as Shikamaru." My eyes went wide at Tsunade's instructions.

"Tsunade, I'm not so sure that it's a great idea for me-"

"You have to be professional, Kaori." Tsunade scolded. I rolled my eyes.

"It's not me I'm concerned about." I mumbled. She glared at me.

"I need you to be on this mission. You have the most intel on the Akatsuki. And Shikamaru is one of our best strategists. I can't always be flexible with who you work with, Kaori. Get over it." She said flatly. I nodded and chose to keep my mouth shut despite my desire to argue. This is sure to be loads of fun.

"Did you let him go, Granny?" Naruto asked quietly. I glanced at him with sad eyes. He looks utterly devastated. Tsunade closed her eyes tightly before staring right at Naruto.

"That's right." She said softly.

"Why'd you allow such a reckless thing! You knew Pervy Sage better than anyone! How could you send him somewhere so dangerous alone!" Naruto screamed. Tsunade wavered for a moment. This has to be hard for her too. Her and Jiraiya were close.

"Enough, Naruto." Kakashi scolded. Naruto looked at him like he's an idiot. "You of all people should understand how Lady Tsunade feels." He continued. Naruto continued to stare at him in disbelief.

"Damn it!" He yelled and turned to leave. I continued to look at him with sad eyes. I know exactly how he feels. And I know that it's a horrible feeling.