Chapter 28

*time skip 2 years*

"I want you two to take the jonin exams this year." Tsunade said to me and Neji, who was standing beside me in her office. I blinked slowly for a few moments. I've only been a chunin for two and a half years, and she wants to make me a jonin already? Really?

"Thank you, Tsunade-sama." Neji said politely and gave her a small bow. I rolled my eyes. He's always so proper.

"Are you sure, Tsunade?" I said much less formally. I've never been one for formalities like honorifics. Tsunade used to glare at me when I addressed her because of this, but after almost three years of training together, I guess she's used to it.

"Yes, Kaori. You are both talented chunin, and I think you have what it takes to become a jonin." She said sternly. I just nodded and decided not to argue. "You have to enter the exam in pairs, so I assume you two will enter together?" She asked, glancing between us. I glanced at  Neji and shrugged. It's been years since we trained together, but I'm sure we can make it work.

"Sounds good to me." I said lazily. Neji glanced at me. I sure hope he's warmed up a bit since the chunin exams. He used to be so cold.

"As long as she doesn't bring me down." He said flatly. I narrowed my eyes at him, but chose not to say anything. The last two years have done wonders for my ability to hold my tongue.

"Great the exam is in two weeks. Get training." She ordered and dismissed us. I sighed, and both Neji and I left the office.

"Training grounds?" I asked. We'll need to learn each other's fighting styles to enter the exam together. Who knows what this exam will be like. I don't have particularly pleasant memories about the last exams I took.

"Sure. We can come up with a training schedule when we get there." He replied flatly. I sighed. He's not as cold, but could definitely still warm up some. We walked to the training grounds I like in silence. I definitely get the feeling that Neji isn't a huge talker, and I'm totally okay with that.

"Alright. So I imagine there will be some kind of written test." I speculated. Neji nodded in agreement.

"And I'm sure there will be fighting." He added. I nodded this time.

"So, we need to learn each other's fighting styles and be able to fight together. We should also study, just in case it's an actual test." I said boredly. Studying is not my thing. Tsunade makes me study all the time to get better at medical ninjutsu. It works. I'm pretty dang good at it now, but I could do without the studying. It's boring.

"Yes. I say we practice in the mornings and study after lunch. Evenings can either be free or we can work more." He suggested. I sighed. It's a good plan. Just a lot of studying.

"Sounds good to me. We also need some ground rules." I mentioned. He raised an eyebrow at me. "We're a team, right?" I asked. He nodded. "Then, no matter what, we're a team. If one of us quits, the other does too. If they try to make us pick one of us to quit, we don't do it, or both of us quit. Got it?" I said firmly. If I've learned anything while training under Kakashi, it's that teamwork and trusting your team is the most important thing there is to a mission. I bet it will be tested in this exam.

"Fine. But we make decisions together then. Neither of us acts alone." He added. I nodded.

"Sounds like a plan." I smirked. "Okay, so abilities. I know fighting is probably the best way to find those out, but I don't want to. We can fight tomorrow." I said lazily. Shika really has rubbed off on me. I've grown particularly lazy in the last two years. "I'm a sensor, and I have the ability to use lightning, water, and some wind jutsus, as well as the palm rotation your clan uses. I excel at genjutsu. I am also a medical ninja, so injuries shouldn't be a problem. Oh! And I fight with a tanto, and can read minds." I said with a closed eye smile. Kakashi recently told me that his goal was basically to make me as well rounded of a ninja as possible, and I think he's done just that. I can even beat him in a spar sometimes now. He really was a good choice for a teacher.