Chapter 32

"Can we get sushi again?" I asked as Shika and I walked though the village hand in hand. He rolled his eyes at me.

"We literally got sushi yesterday. How about BBQ?" He asked. I looked at him like he was insane.

"You can never have too much sushi, Shika!" I shouted. He dragged his free hand down his face.

"I knew it was your favorite food." He grumbled. We argue about this often. I still stand by the fact that sushi and ice cream are tied. Shika doesn't agree. Apparently I can't have two favorites.

"I mean, we could get ice cream for dessert!" I bargained, giving him a closed eye smile. "I'd be fine with that!" I teased, pushing him a little. He shook his head at me.

"Troublesome woman." He grumbled. I grinned at him.

"You love me." I teased. He chuckled.

"You're right, I do." He said back with a lazy smile. I felt the familiar butterflies in my stomach and blushed. "We're still getting BBQ." He said flatly. I groaned.

"Fine!" I complained. "But we get ice cream afterwards!" I bargained and pointed a finger at him. He dragged his hand down his face again while sighing.

"You have to go see Lady Tsunade, and I have to meet with Temari." He pointed out. I rolled my eyes.

"We can be late! Tsunade's used to it from me. Temari will just have to adjust." I argued. He smirked.

"Fine. If we hurry, we can get ice cream." He agreed. I grinned and gave him a closed eye smile.

"I knew you'd see it my way!" I teased. He rolled his eyes at me.

"Troublesome woman." He teased, and smirked at me. As we walked towards the BBQ restaurant, I saw Sakura beating up someone while Konohamaru and his friends gathered in fear around someone who looks very familiar. He looks like Jiraiya. Wait. Does that mean?

"Is that Naruto?!" I yelled excitedly and ran over to Sakura. Shika followed me, and we both smirked at the scene in front of us. Sakura is punching and shaking Naruto. I guess some things never change. "You've been here for what, five minutes? And you've already pissed Sakura off? Way to go, Naruto." I teased and crossed my arms over my chest. Inside, I'm grinning with joy. Naruto is back! One of my best friends has finally come home!

"Kaori-chan?" Naruto asked after Sakura finally let go of him, though I can tell she's still fuming about whatever it is that he did. I grinned at him.

"The very same!" I yelled and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. He returned the gesture. "You've gotten taller, idiot." I smirked and let him go. He chuckled.

"Sakura said the same thing." He pointed out. "You look so different! What is this thing on your forehead?" He asked, with the familiar puzzled look on his face that I missed so much.

"Oh, she looks different, but I look the same. Idiot." Sakura grumbled under her breath. I let out a small laugh. I guess that's what he did wrong. Silly, Naruto.

"It's a medical ninjutsu thing. It basically makes me stronger than usual." I said, trying not to confuse him too much. He nodded in understanding. I think. Or ignorance. Either way, I guess.

"Shikamaru!" Naruto yelled and focused on Shika. Shika actually looks really excited to see him. I knew they were secretly friends.

"So you're back?" Shika smirked. I reached for his hand and grabbed it in mine. Just wait until Naruto figures this out. He's going to lose it!

"Yeah, I got back this morning!" Naruto explained.

"And you're already causing trouble? Typical." I teased. He shot me a small glare.