Chapter 37

I woke up in the morning and saw that Sakura was already up and gone from our room. Typical. She's much more of a morning person than I've ever been. I stretched and sat up before starting my normal morning meditation. I'll definitely need it with Sai on this trip. And Naruto. And the looming possibility of finding Sasuke. What will I even say to him if we do see him? Is he even still alive?

"Kaori, may I speak with you for a moment?" Yamato asked, peering into my room. I opened my eyes and sighed. Guess I won't be meditating. "Don't worry, it won't take long." He assured. I rolled my eyes.

"Sure. What is it?" I asked shortly.
I have a feeling he wants to scold me for the way I acted yesterday, since it definitely wasn't professional, or even friendly for that matter, but I don't really care.

"I'd like to make you co-captain of this mission." He proposed. I raised an eyebrow at him. I definitely was not expecting that one. All I did was yell at Sai yesterday. I don't regret it, but it definitely doesn't scream captain material either.

"Why?" I asked skeptically. This seems like a very shady move in my opinion.

"You're a jonin who was trained by both Kakashi and Lady Tsunade, so I know you're capable. Plus you have more information about the Akatsuki than any of the rest of us. And, you know Naruto and Sakura well. I think it would help the team dynamics if you and I both acted as captains." I rolled my eyes.

"So, you basically want us to behave better?" I said bluntly. He sighed and blinked a few times. "I know, I'm difficult. You don't have to tell me." I added. I can see it on his face that that's what he's thinking. Most people who don't know me well think that.

"It would help us to get Sasuke back." He bargained. I sighed in defeat. He's probably right. And I mean, I did want to be in charge. Didn't I ask Tsunade to let me be the leader of the mission? Yamato is offering me something close to that. Maybe he's not as bad as I once thought. I sighed again.

"I'll be honest. I don't like Sai. I can try to ignore him, but I won't tolerate him talking shit about Sasuke. And if we see Sasuke, I don't know what Naruto, Sakura or I will do. If you can accept those things, then I'll agree to be co-captain and try to keep Naruto and Sakura in line." I offered. He rolled his eyes and shook his head slightly.

"At least you're honest. You got a deal, co-captain." He said and gave me a small smile. I nodded.

"Now, if I'm going to be in charge of Naruto, I have to meditate. I'll kill him otherwise." I teased and went back to meditating. I may have said it in a teasing voice, but I'm very impatient if I don't meditate. Naruto and my impatience have never mixed well. I heard my door close, and I knew I was alone again. I sighed and let everything go from my body. I tried to align my breath  and center myself. Lord knows I'll need it.

"Kaori!" Naruto yelled and bursted into my room. I groaned loudly. "Kaori! Sai is-"

"I don't care if he murdered your cat, Naruto! I'm meditating! Go away!" I yelled back. He widened his eyes.

"But I don't have a cat." He said calmly. I groaned again. "Sai! He left! He's gone!" He yelled again, remembering that he wanted something. I rolled my eyes.

"Good. One less person to worry about." I grumbled. Naruto narrowed his eyes at me. "Go tell Yamato, if you're so worried. I'm sure Sai just went and got breakfast or something." I said dismissively. When he realized that I'm not going to help, he groaned and stomped out of my room, slamming the door shut. I rolled my eyes. I hate mornings. I got a few more minutes of meditating in before I heard another knock on my door.

"Well, guess I'm settling for coffee and trying not to kill Naruto." I mumbled bitterly. "Come in!" I called and started to pack my things and get myself ready to leave.