Chapter 49

The next month passed by quickly as we prepared for the apparent war against Madara. Kakashi explained it all to me after I came home from almost being executed, and I have to say, I'm shocked. Who knew that Tobi is secretly Madara Uchiha? I always just thought he was a stupid annoying person. Turns out, he's also crazy powerful. Now, we have to figure out a way to kill him, or our entire world will be sucked into some kind of infinite genjutsu or whatever. I'm so glad I left the Akatsuki if that was truly always the goal. It's definitely not what I want. I want to live my life. Not pretend to live it in a dream. So, right now, we're all preparing for war.

"Please be careful, Shika." I begged. He rolled his eyes at me.

"I'll be fine, troublesome woman." He said pointedly.  I raised an eyebrow at him.

"This isn't a mission! It's a war! And I'm not going to be there to watch your back. So please, be safe. I swear, if I see you in the medical tents, I'll kill you myself." I ranted. He placed his hands on my shoulders to calm me down.

"It's going to be fine. I'm in the same unit at Ino and Choji. We'll be okay." He reassured. I sighed but nodded in acceptance.

"I wish Tsunade would let me fight." I grumbled and crossed my arms over my chest. Shika rolled his eyes at me.

"You're more useful right now as a medical ninja. You can even summon Katsuyu if you need to. She's right to put you with the medical ninjas." He said bluntly. I scoffed.

"I can do that on the battlefield too." I mumbled. He rolled his eyes again.

"Stop complaining, Kaori. You'll also be useful if the medical tents get ambushed. Technically you and Tsunade are the only two medical ninjas cleared for combat." Kakashi said, literally coming out of nowhere, as usual. I scoffed.

"I guess. But that means I have to take orders from Sakura!" I whined. Kakashi smacked the back of my head like he does to Naruto. I glared up at him, and he just offered a closed eye smile.

"You're the one who wanted Sakura to get stronger." He pointed out. I rolled my eyes.

"I mean, I guess she is less annoying now." I grumbled.

"I've got to go meet Choji and Ino. I'll see you when this is over, okay?" Shika said and kissed me quickly. I nodded.

"Be safe!" I called as he walked away. I let out a deep and nervous sigh. I don't like this. I wish I could fight alongside him to make sure he's okay. But I guess I'll just have to trust him.

"He'll be fine, Kaori." Kakashi assured and ruffled my hair. I nodded. "You should go find the medical unit. We're about to move out." He instructed. I sighed again.

"You be safe too. If I have to heal you in the medical tents, I'll kick your ass." I said and pointed a finger into his chest. He laughed lightly and pulled me into a hug.

"It'll be okay, Kaori. Try to stay calm and focus on healing people." He instructed. I nodded and pulled away from the hug.

"I guess I'll go find Sakura." I complained. Kakashi rolled his eye and pushed me away.

"Be safe, Kaori!" He called as I walked. I waved a hand in the air and activated my shuhogan to find Sakura. Once I located her, I made my way over to our unit. She's in charge of it, with Shizune and I as her backups. We all make a good team. I just don't have as much interest in medical ninjutsu. I honestly only learned it because of the life force part of my shuhogan. It made mastering that a lot easier, and I get the added bonus of the seal of a hundred, so I guess it was time well spent.

"Kaori! Good, I was just about to come find you. I wanted to remind you not to-"

"Use my life force technique on anyone. I know,Sakura. I've only been told a thousand times." I finished sarcastically. She narrowed her eyes at me.