Chapter 27

"Can we be done now?" I complained, collapsing to the ground from exhaustion. This is pretty typical of a training day for me. Kakashi and I are always at the training grounds early, and we work until I couldn't stand anymore. Everyday.

"No. Get up. Let's go again." Kakashi said and crossed his arms over his chest. I groaned dramatically.

"But Kakashi!" I whined. "I just want to take a nap!" I complained. He rolled his eyes at me.

"You spend too much time with Shikamaru." He mumbled under his breath. I rolled my eyes.

"Well, we are dating, so I would hope so." I said sarcastically and immediately clapped my hand over my mouth. He raised an eyebrow at me. I haven't told Kakashi what actually happened last week when I was late coming home. I don't necessarily not want people to know about me and Shika, but I don't want Kakashi to know. Too late for that I guess. Stupid.

"What did you say?" He asked, narrowing his eyes at me.

"Nothing." I shrugged, giving him a closed eye smile. "I said nothing."

"Kaori." He warned. We had an agreement that we wouldn't lie to each other. We are effectively a team since I go on every mission with him as part of my training, and being able to trust each other is crucial to teamwork. I rolled my eyes and sighed. I'm not getting out of it. There's no point in trying.

"Please don't go all overprotective big brother on me. I had enough of that growing up." He narrowed his eyes at me. "I really like him, and he likes me." I tried to reassure him. His eyebrow raised again, and I sighed. "It could be worse. I could like Sasuke." I pointed out. I vaguely remember him saying something to the same effect at some point. Surely, he'll agree with me.

"Sasuke isn't here." He said bluntly.

"Exactly! See, I didn't choose to like the criminal who abandoned the village. I think I'm making good choices!" I bargained, giving another closed eye smile. This conversation cannot end soon enough.

"You're 13. Aren't you a little young to be dating?" He said skeptically. I rolled my eyes. Typical excuse.

"And how old were you when you started dating?" I bit back. He narrowed his eyes at me.

"That's beside the point." He said bluntly. I scoffed at him.

"Actually, it's fucking not!" I said, raising my voice. "No double standards just because I'm a girl!" I shouted and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Then have him over for dinner." He suggested. I scoffed again.

"No way! I'm not an damn idiot, Kakashi." I said flatly. He rolled his eyes at me. "You're not my father. You're my brother. You don't have to interrogate him. Plus, you know Shika! He's not a bad person!" I shouted. He scoffed.

"I'm still your guardian, and it's my job to protect you." He grumbled. I rolled my eyes.

"From Shika?!" I yelled and narrowed my eyes at him. He's being ridiculous. This isn't even that big of a deal. He knelt down to my level and gave me a closed eye smile.

"It could be worse. Didn't you say you grew up with someone who enjoys sacrificing people?" He teased. I facepalmed and sighed.

"You mean Hidan?" I said flatly. He shrugged. I rolled my eyes. "I decapitated him once. You really want to go there, Kakashi?" I teased and smirked at him. He narrowed his eyes in a glare.

"You can't even beat me in a spar. Go ahead. Try." He teased, finishing with a closed eye smile. I groaned and sat up.

"Fine. I win, and you let this go. You win, and Shika can come over for dinner, and I won't interfere." I said with a new determination filling me. This is exactly why I didn't want to tell Kakashi. I knew he'd blow it up to be a bigger deal than it really is. He smirked and stood up, offering me a hand. I refused to take it and stood up on my own, earning an eye roll.