Chapter 48

"I'm sorry. We tried, but Danzo is out of the village for a summit, and the elders won't act without him here." Kakashi said, giving me a small smile. I sighed deeply. This is not looking good for me.

"Sai, is he going to have me killed?" I asked softly, terrified of the answer. I stared at him through the bars that separated me and my favorite people, anxiously waiting for him to respond.

"I think so." My heart dropped into my stomach. "I asked a few people, and it seems that Lord Danzo plans to have your mind read, and if there is any evidence of your affiliation with the Akatsuki, you will be sentenced to death." He said sadly. Honestly sadly. Not his fake emotions that he usually uses. My eyes widened, and a nauseous feeling came over my body. Sentenced to death?

"So, I guess I'll be killed then." I said softly as tears sprung into my eyes. Shika looked at me with sad eyes, and I can tell that he wants to be in here comforting me, but why? He should distance himself from me if I'm just going to die anyways. "I guess that's what I get for being a criminal." I added weakly.

"Hey, that's not true." Kakashi said softly and leaned against the bars of my jail cell. "We talked about this earlier. You are not a criminal, and you made the right choice by staying here. Don't ever doubt that." Tears fell from my eyes as I looked at my older brother. I got so lucky to have him in my life, even if only for a short time. He's become so important to me, and now I have to leave him behind.

"Then why am I being punished?" I cried. I felt the suffocating feeling of the jail cell closing in on me, and my flight or fight instincts started to kick in, as could be heard by my fast heart monitor. I need to get out of here.

"Because Danzo is an idiot." Shika said and looked at me with sad eyes. "We will figure something out, Kaori. You're not going to be killed." He reassured me. I looked at him with tear filled eyes.

"He has Inoichi scheduled to come in and do the mind reading tomorrow." Sai confirmed. I nodded and tried not to think about it. My memories are full of the Akatsuki. Inoichi has seen them before. I can't get out of this.

"I know Inoichi well. Let me talk to him and see what I can work out." Shika said. I shook my head.

"I'm not going to ask you to have him lie for me, Shika." I said firmly as I wiped away my tears. "I've had enough lies. If Danzo wants to punish me, then there's nothing we can do about it. He'll just find another way." I added softly.

"That's not true, Kaori." Kakashi said softly. "We can hope that Tsunade wakes up. Or that when Danzo gets back, I can talk him and the elders into reconsidering your immunity. You're not going to die. We still have time." I shrugged and looked down. I don't believe him. I'm locked in a jail cell, the current Hokage knows about my involvement in the Akatsuki, and there's no way to hide my memories of them. I'm not seeing a way around this. "I hate to do this, but Naruto is trying to leave the village to talk to the Raikage about Sasuke. I need to go with him. I'll be back by tonight." He said and gave me a sad look. I rolled my eyes. Perfect timing. But Naruto won't take no for an answer. I know that much. I still want to protect him.

"Go. There's nothing you can do for me until Danzo gets back anyways." I said firmly. He nodded before walking out the door and leaving me alone with Shika and Sai. I let out a deep sigh.

"It's going to be fine, Kaori." Shika reassured me. I looked at him with unsure eyes and just tried to keep my thoughts off of the fact that I'll be dead by tomorrow afternoon.

"My memories are full of the Akatsuki. I was affiliated with them. I am guilty of what they're accusing me of, Shika." I said bluntly, trying to get him to understand. We can't just keep saying that everything is fine when it's clearly not. "The only reason I wasn't killed four years ago is because I gave up information on them, and agreed to every one of Tsunade's terms. If I hadn't, she would have had me killed too. I'm not as innocent as you're making me seem." I said softly and looked down at my lap shamefully, fighting back tears. He looked at me with sad eyes.