Chapter 42

Days passed, and I still haven't heard anything from Shika. I'm growing more and more frustrated by the day. I know that he's on a mission and can't help it, but I'm still irritated that we can't talk and try to fix things. I've been pouring myself into training with Naruto, Kakashi, Yamato, and sometimes Sai. They've definitely noticed that something is wrong with me, but thankfully none of them have mentioned it. They just let me train until I can't stand anymore, and then  I go home and eat ice cream and watch sappy movies.

Kakashi has been teaching me to use fire style. He said that it's really compatible with Naruto's wind style and will help make us a better team. I agree, but fire is exhausting to work with. The only other element that was this exhausting to learn was water. But, I know it will be rewarding. So far, I can only do a very small fireball, but I have a feeling that I'll get it down sooner or later.

Right now, I'm at the training fields, sparring with Sai. We've been hanging out quite a bit since I'm technically in charge of him, and I like spending time with him. He doesn't question why I seem depressed constantly, and he's blunt and honest about what I'm doing wrong in my training. We don't talk much, and I like it that way.

"You're too tense. You'll never hit me with your tanto like that." Sai scolded. I groaned and rolled my eyes. I felt Kakashi staring at us, trying to figure out what's actually bothering me. He's been doing this since I got home instead of actually asking me what's wrong. I'm not sure if I appreciate it, or hate it.

"Again." I said flatly. Sai nodded and ran at me with his tanto. I blocked him with a kunai, and I raised my tanto up to slice him. He jumped back quickly and kicked me in the stomach. I fell to the ground and shouted in frustration. Sai looked at me curiously.

"Is it possible that you're too tense for training?" He asked carefully. I glared at him. I've been in a bad mood all day. I probably shouldn't be training, but it's the only thing that keeps my mind occupied.

"No. I'm not too tense. Again." I said firmly and got back up.

"Really? I read in a book that people who are tense are usually upset about something. Is something bothering you? Maybe that's why you're doing poorly today." He asked. I facepalmed and groaned in frustration.

"I'm fine, Sai. I just want to train." I said bluntly and raised my tanto up. He gave me a closed eye smile.

"Really? You're supposed to help me understand emotions, but I can't understand yours very well. Am I missing something?" He said flatly. I put my tanto away aggressively and sent him another glare. I know he's just curious, but I'm really not in the mood.

"You're right. I'm done for the day. I'm gonna go watch Naruto." I said and stormed off. I plopped down next to Kakashi and let out a frustrated sigh. He glanced at me.

"You seem tense." He observed. I narrowed my eyes at Naruto who has tons of shadow clones on top of a bridge trying to cut through a waterfall.

"Don't. Start. Please." I said shortly. He held up his hands in defense.

"Sorry. Jeez. Maybe try some meditating while you're sitting here and calm down a bit." He suggested pointedly. I rolled my eyes. He's such a pain sometimes.

"Kakashi Hatake." A chunin I haven't met called as he walked up to us. I sighed. I hope we're not being called for a mission. I don't have the patience right now. "I wanted to let you know that Asuma Sarutobi has been killed by the Akatsuki." He said in a sad tone. My eyes widened, and I felt my world stop. Is Shika okay? I got up and started running to his house, ignoring Kakashi calling for me to stop. I activated my eyes to make sure he's there, and kept running. I need to see him. Even if he's still mad at me. I knocked on the door when I arrived and Shikaku answered. I'm slightly out of breath and tried to hide it, but I'm pretty sure I failed.