Chapter 19

Almost instantly, a barrier went up around the Hokage and the Kazekage. I can't focus on that though, because Kankuro and Temari jumped down to be with Gaara. I immediately felt on edge. The Sand betrayed the Leaf. That much is clear. I don't know much else, but we can't trust them.

"What's going on?" Sasuke asked, shocked.

"I'm not sure, but it's not good." I replied quietly. My heart started racing, but I'm trying to do my best to keep my cool. Getting emotional is not the answer.

"Stop that, Gaara!" Temari yelled. I narrowed my eyes at her.

"I'll kill them." Gaara seethed. My eyes widened. Was that the plot? To kill us? But why? What did we do to the Sand? That can't be their goal. No way.

"There's no meaning in continuing this fight!" Kankuro yelled. I listened curiously. What exactly is happening? They attacked the Hokage. Is that their goal? But why?

"Don't forget our mission." Temari said sternly. I cocked my head to the side.

"Mission?" I questioned quietly. What the hell? Gaara pushed Temari out of the way.

"Out of my way!" He yelled and made his way towards us slowly, my eyes went wide, and I finally noticed the shaking in my hands. I took a deep breath and rested a hand on my tanto, ready to fight, but a Sand jonin stopped him from continuing towards us.

"What are you guys doing?" He asked, looking back at the Sand siblings behind him. "The operation is already underway!" He yelled.  Operation? What? Maybe it has to do with Gaara? Is he supposed to destroy the Leaf while the Kazekage kills the Hokage?

"They betrayed the Leaf." I whispered to Sasuke. I don't know all of the details, but I do know that much. He nodded in understanding. Gaara started groaning in pain again, and the proctor jumped in front of the two of us. I looked at him wide eyed while the Sand ninja argued about something, before leading Gaara away. I glanced towards them, but figured we should wait for some kind of orders, not just act randomly.

"Is Orochimaru behind this?" The proctor asked. My eyes went wide in panic. Orochimaru? Is he already coming for Sasuke? No way.

"Don't know." The sand jonin shrugged. That's bullshit, but okay. I rolled my eyes.

"Sasuke, Kaori, sorry, but the end of the Chunin exams is here. You're both already of chunin level." My eyes went wide at this. How? All I did was get caught in a sand sphere and almost die. "If you're a Leaf ninja, then be of service to the Leaf."

"I'm other words, you want us to go after Gaara?" I asked pointedly.

"Yes. Don't pursue too far. This is no longer an exam. It's the real thing." He ordered. I nodded, feeling both anxiety and anger course through me. Aren't we supposed to be allies? Why the hell did they betray us?

"What we have to do is the same though." Sasuke said, and both of us ran off in the direction of Gaara. We jumped over the wall to the arena and into the forest, both sprinting as fast as we could.

"Can you sense them?" Sasuke asked. I activated my shuhogan and looked around for them. I could sense Gaara's chakra easily. It's huge and currently feeling very disturbed. I shuddered at the feeling of it. It almost feels evil. It reminds me of Naruto's on the bridge during the Land of Waves mission.

"About a mile north." I said and deactivated my eyes to save chakra. "How do we want to do this? Same plan?" I asked, trying to keep up with Sasuke. He's so fast.

"If we can, yes. He has two others with him. Can you get all of them into a genjutsu?" I thought about it and felt nervous about the idea. I haven't tried a wide range jutsu like that before. I've only ever cast one on one person.