Chapter 47

I woke up to the familiar sound of a heart monitor beeping next to me. I groaned and tried to sit up, but failed miserably as pain coursed through me.

"Don't move. You're still healing." I heard a familiar voice say softly. I looked over at him and raised an eyebrow.

"Shika? What are you doing here?" I asked hoarsely. He helped me sit up slowly and handed me a glass of water.

"I wanted to be here when you woke up." He shrugged. I raised my eyebrow again. "Look, I'm sorry for how I acted." He said and looked down. I raised an eyebrow in confusion. Why is he sorry?

"What? You don't need to be. I'm the one who-"

"Tried to die saving this village and Naruto because of something that wasn't your fault." He finished. My eyes widened. What did he just say? "Just accept my apology, troublesome woman." He said softly. I nodded slowly.

"Okay." I said barely above a whisper. Suddenly, I remembered something, and I started to panic, as heard by my heart monitor. "Naruto! Where's Naruto!" I panicked and tried to get up again, ignoring the pain of moving. Shika put his hands on my shoulders and pushed me down gently. I blushed at the contact and looked at him with wide eyes as anxiety coursed though me.

"He's fine." He said and took his hands off of me. I relaxed a bit and leaned back into the hospital bed. "He saved the village." My eyes widened.

"He beat Pain?" I asked in shock. He nodded.

"He thought that Pain killed you, and it made him angry enough to win." I nodded at the explanation before looking down with tears in my eyes. I hate that my memories are coming back to me. I wish they would leave me alone.

"Kakashi died." I said softly. Shika grabbed my hand comfortingly.

"No I didn't." I heard Kakashi say. My head whipped to meet his figure standing in the doorway of my hospital room, perfectly healthy. Tears spilled out of my eyes before I could react, and he walked over to my bed before sitting down and putting a hand on my leg.

"How!?" I asked in sheer disbelief. Kakashi gave me a closed eye smile. One that I never thought I'd see again. My heart swelled with joy as I looked at my brother sitting in front of me. How did he live? I was so sure he was dead.

"Naruto." He said simply. I raised an eyebrow. "He beat Pain who did a jutsu that brought everyone back to life." My eyes widened. Naruto did that? But Kakashi was definitely dead.

"You died. I-I tried to save you, a-and the light was gone and you had no pulse, and I tried, and and-"

"I'm fine, Kaori." He reassured. I wiped the tears from my eyes and nodded. "You were stupid to try to fight Pain alone." He scolded. I nodded and looked down again. I know it wasn't the smartest choice. But I just wanted to save the village. I wanted to stop Pain at any cost.

"I was just so angry. He killed you, and he wanted Naruto, and he destroyed the village. I-I just wanted him dead." I explained. Kakashi's eye softened, and he pulled me into a hug. I gladly returned it, thankful that he somehow managed to live. I don't know if I could handle losing my only family member.

"It was stupid, but it was brave. You're lucky that Shikamaru got you out of there when he did. Sakura almost couldn't save you." He said and pushed me back. I nodded again. I know that I got very lucky. I had resigned myself to death, and would be dead if it weren't for Shika and Sakura. They saved me.

"At least Naruto killed him. I'm glad he's gone." I said flatly. Kakashi let out a small laugh before ruffling my hair. I narrowed my eyes at him.