Chapter 31

"Look, people are here to watch us." Neji pointed out, pointing up to a spot in the stands. I looked where he was pointing and saw Kakashi, Shika, Sakura, Hinata, Lee, Tenten, and Guy all looking down into the arena. I smirked.

"Guess we can't lose then." I teased. I don't want to disappoint Kakashi. And I don't want to look stupid in front of Shika. Whatever this test is, I have to pass. There's no other choice. Neji and I waited around for a little longer before the rest of the people from the second test arrived. There are eight of us total. That means only four teams passed the first and second exams. Damn. These exams are no joke.

"I'll be the proctor for the third and final test." Tsunade called from a balcony above us. I gulped. Tsunade is the proctor? What the hell is she going to make us do? "The test is simple. Individual fights. You will each be paired off with a jonin. They may be from your village or from a different one. You will fight until one of you dies, becomes unable to continue, or gives up. If you do not win the fight, you cannot become a jonin. If you win, I get to decide your fate. I will not be stepping in to stop the fights, so if you die, you die. Understood?" She yelled. My eyes went wide. I took a deep breath. I can do this. It's just a spar. If I can beat Kakashi, I can beat anyone. The remaining exam takers and I made our way to a balcony to watch the fights, and wait for our turns.

After watching five fights, I started to get antsy. The fights have been entertaining, though. Three have lost and two have won so far. I just want to get mine over with. My heart is racing and my palms are sweating. Waiting is killing me. Neji isn't much help. He's been analyzing every fight and trying to see how he would do better. That's probably what I should be doing, but all I can think about is who I'm going to face.

I'm sure the matches were premade.  They would have to be so the jonin could prepare and not take a mission today. So, I won't be fighting Kakashi. Tsunade would make sure of that. I probably won't fight Guy. We spend too much time training together. It could be pretty much anyone else though. Or it could be someone from another village who I know nothing about. That would be the worst. Neji elbowing me brought me from my thoughts.

"It's your turn." He said flatly. My eyes widened, and I looked at the screen that announces the pairs.

Kaori Hatake vs. Asuma Sarutobi

I gulped and nodded before making my way slowly down to the arena. Great. Shika's sensei. What do I know about him? He uses wind and chakra blades. And I think he can use fire. If I can keep him away from me, and cancel his fire with water, I might be okay. He's strong. I know that much. I've never sparred with him, but I've watched him fight. He's easily as good as Kakashi. Not as versatile, but just as talented.

"You might be Kakashi's sister and Shikamaru's girlfriend, but I won't go easy on you, kid." He said bluntly as I reached the center of the arena. I laughed a little bit and smirked.

"I'd be disappointed if you did." I teased. He raised an eyebrow at me.  I rested my hand on my tanto, ready for Tsunade to start the fight. I have to win. I can't become a jonin if I lose.

"Begin!" Tsunade yelled. He wasted no time and began to run at me, chakra blades in hand. I removed my tanto quickly and lit it up with white lightning. I activated my shuhogan and we began to fight. His fighting style is much more abrasive than Kakashi's is. And he's strong. I'm fast, but I'll tire quickly if we keep this up, and I imagine he's betting on that.

We blocked and dodged around each other for several minutes. The screams in the arena faded to mush around me. All I can focus on is not getting hit. I finally saw an opening and sliced my lightning filled tanto into his arm. He yelled in pain and jumped away from me gripping the arm I just cut. I stopped, panting for breath. I need to keep him away.