Chapter 38

Today is the day. We're on our way to Tenchi Bridge to meet the Akatsuki spy and hopefully detain him. Yesterday was kind of a disaster. Yamato wanted to have a spar, or a simulation, to see everyone's abilities, but then he decided to put Naruto and Sai on a team. Stupid decision. Sai knows nothing about teamwork. Only completing the mission. He's not good for someone who fights like Naruto. Plus, they don't get along. It was just a disaster.

Yamato claimed he put them together because he wanted the medical ninja with him so he could protect us, which is in general a good plan. But, I'm not just a medical ninja. With the seal of a hundred on my forehead, I'm more than capable of fighting. So, we came to a consensus that I will work with Sai, and Sakura and Naruto will work together. Sai and I actually make a decent team. Even though I almost punched him for insulting Sasuke again. And I definitely didn't stop Naruto from blowing up on him either.  But fighting wise, we make a good team. If Sai abandons me for the mission, I won't be hopeless, and our fighting styles actually complement each other fairly well.

We also learned quite a bit about Sai, but it only made me more uneasy around him. He apparently has no feelings. No emotions. Which just doesn't sit right with me. And he told us about his brother who died, but he really didn't seem to care. It was unsettling. But, I already knew I didn't like the guy. And I don't need to. I can trust him in a fight and to complete the mission, and that's all I need to know.

"Kaori, are you ready?" Yamato asked, pulling me from my thoughts. We stopped walking probably a mile from Tenchi Bridge. I looked up and nodded.

"Yep. Let's get this over with." I said firmly and moved up to the front of the formation.

"Alright. We will continue once we get ready here. Sai, can you check the area for other ninja?" Yamato asked. I crossed my arms.

"I could have done it." I grumbled. I don't like relying on Sai to do anything. I just don't trust him fully. Yamato gave me a pointed look, and I rolled my eyes. Sai pulled out a scroll and drew several tiny mice before they all came alive and scattered throughout the forest. In a few minutes, they were all back.

"I don't sense anyone around Tenchi Bridge." He said flatly. I nodded.

"Guess it's not an ambush, then." I shrugged. We were worried about that. With both Naruto and I on this team, dealing with the Akatsuki is risky business.

"Alright! Let's proceed as planned." Yamato announced. I nodded and began to get ready. I'm supposed to turn into Deidara and accompany Yamato who will be Sasori. Since the Akatsuki always travel in two, it would look less suspicious. Yamato was working from a picture, while I just had to go on memory. Thankfully, I know what Dei looks like well enough.

"Transform!" I said, and instantly I grew taller, had blonde hair, and was wearing an Akatsuki cloak and the ugly straw hat. I nodded, impressed with myself.

"Woah! You didn't even need a picture to look at like Captain Yamato, Kaori! You're so cool!" Naruto yelled and flipped my hair. I rolled my eyes.

"Well, I did live with Dei for about five years before moving to the village. I think I know what he looks like." I said sarcastically with a smirk on my face. Sakura and Yamato both rolled their eyes at my attitude. Naruto narrowed his eyes at me.

"How's this, Kaori?" Yamato asked. I looked over at him and was honestly impressed.

"You look just like him." I shrugged. I need to practice Dei's voice. Thankfully it's not too low. I also need to remember his speech impediment. If this spy has ever met Dei, they'll remember it for sure.

"Wasn't Deidara missing an arm and a leg, Kaori?" Sakura asked and narrowed her eyes slightly. I shrugged.

"Kakuzu probably reattached them by now." I shrugged. The whole group looked at me like I was insane, because it's definitely not possible to reattach limbs. I rolled my eyes. "Don't ask. I don't know how he does it." I said bitterly.