Chapter 9

When I woke up, I noticed that it's night time and I'm in a bed. I guess I was more tired than I realized after training. I stretched my body and stood up, looking around. Everyone's already sleeping. I sighed and decided that I want to look at the stars, so I climbed out the window and jumped on top of the roof before sitting down. The stars have always amazed me. It's probably because I didn't get to see them much growing up. It was always too dangerous for me to leave the hideout. Not necessarily for my sake, but for the rest of the Akatsuki. If they were found out, they would be killed on the spot.

I pulled my knees to my chest as sadness ached in my chest at the thought of them. I really miss them. Sure, I love it here. I love Kakashi. I love my team, even though they're annoying. I love Choji and Shikamaru. Living in the village has been nothing short of amazing. But I still miss my family. If only I could have Dei, Itachi and Kisame with me too. And the rest of them. Except Tobi. I still firmly believe that Pain should allow Hidan to sacrifice him. None of us like him.

I wonder when Pain will tell me to come home. I don't know exactly what he's looking for with having me befriend Naruto. I mean, Naruto is determined, but he's not strong. What could Pain want with him? Maybe he wants Naruto to join the Akatsuki. That wouldn't be so bad. Naruto would never do it though. He's too good. He wouldn't last a day. Maybe that's what Pain wants me to determine. I hope so anyways. I can't imagine Naruto getting hurt. I've come to care about him. I don't want to be the reason he suffers.

"You should be sleeping, idiot." Sasuke said and sat down next to me on the roof, pulling me away from my thoughts. I glanced at him. He looks troubled. Probably something to do with training. Then again, he usually looks troubled.

"I could say the same to you, pretty boy." I teased and looked back up to the stars before he could glare at me.

"Stop calling me that." He said through his teeth. I laughed and smiled at him.

"You know I only call you that because you react, right?" I can sense the eye roll I'm getting.

"Hn." I scoffed at him in frustration.

"What does that even mean?" I shot at him. I get so tired of that phrase! Like, how hard is it to have a normal conversation?!

"Hn." I could sense a smirk on his face, and I finally realized what he's doing. I sat up and smacked his arm, glaring at him. His smirk intensified, and he started laughing.

"You're such a jerk!" I yelled and then laughed with him. I haven't seen this side of Sasuke before. I know that he purposefully annoys me to tease me a lot of times, but he's never laughed about it. It's good to see him lighten up a little. I like this side of him.

"Idiot. You do the same thing to me." He retorted. I rolled my eyes.

"I guess that's fair. Why are you actually out here?" I asked and hugged my knees back to my chest. I don't really expect an answer, but I thought I'd try anyways. He shrugged.

"Couldn't sleep." He answered flatly. I nodded. He doesn't want to talk about it. I can respect that, so I decided to change the subject. This is the first real conversation we've had since becoming a team, and I don't want to ruin it by pushing him.

"The stars are pretty tonight." I said and laid down to look at them.

"Do you always watch the stars?" He asked. I nodded.

"I've been obsessed with them since I was a child." I explained without going into too much detail. Out of everyone on the team, I think Sasuke would understand my past the best, but I don't want to test that theory. I can't be found out. I'll certainly be killed if I am. Or at the very least, I'll have failed my mission. Which will also lead me to being killed. And it doesn't matter anyways. I'll be leaving eventually.